Blue Iris Vera Plugin - Trigger z-wave devices & more

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
A user on MiCasaVerde's forum recently developed a Blue Iris plugin for Vera and VeraLite (MiOS). I installed it and have it working perfectly. It's pretty cool, you can use Blue Iris motion detection to trigger scenes, can control camera PTZ and more.

6916.png
Blue Iris Camera Plugin - MiOS Marketplace

Installation video:

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I haven't ventured into the home automation yet (with exception of using B.I. for property surveillance), but this Vera product looks cool (after looking into it following your post).

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
A user on MiCasaVerde's forum recently developed a Blue Iris plugin for Vera and VeraLite (MiOS). I installed it and have it working perfectly. It's pretty cool, you can use Blue Iris motion detection to trigger scenes, can control camera PTZ and more.

View attachment 575
Blue Iris Camera Plugin - MiOS Marketplace

Installation video:

Are you still using this? I went to the link and it only had 4 reviews from 2014, lol, I'm researching BI integration with zwave to see if I want to go that way.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you still using this? I went to the link and it only had 4 reviews from 2014, lol, I'm researching BI integration with zwave to see if I want to go that way.
No, I stopped using it shortly after. Didn't really have a point

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I stopped using it shortly after. Didn't really have a point
yeah it looked like it lets BI trigger vera, crap, I want vera sensors, PIR, door, etc. to trigger BI, do you know of anything out there that allows zwave sensors to trigger BI? if I could find that, I would buy a zwave hub post haste, thinking about getting one anyways actually to play with some other stuff like lights and things.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your wanting to send your PTZ to do various tasks hmj pay attention to latency; overall I avoid Z-Wave when possible for PTZ controls as nothing beats a hardwired sensor into my NVR.. when you take Sensor -> RF -> Controller -> BlueIris API (HTTP) -> ONVIF (HTTP) -> PTZ Starts to move its quite a bit slower than Sensor -> NVR -> PTZ or espically Sensor -> PTZ

Just depends, some things a second response time is fine.. other things its not.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
if your wanting to send your PTZ to do various tasks hmj pay attention to latency; overall I avoid Z-Wave when possible for PTZ controls as nothing beats a hardwired sensor into my NVR.. when you take Sensor -> RF -> Controller -> BlueIris API (HTTP) -> ONVIF (HTTP) -> PTZ Starts to move its quite a bit slower than Sensor -> NVR -> PTZ or espically Sensor -> PTZ

Just depends, some things a second response time is fine.. other things its not.
No no, I'm just wanting to say okay, if this sensor trips, trigger this camera or group of cameras to send me a push notification, take some screen shots and email them, whatever, the whole ptz thing would be cool also but for now I just want to use motion sensors and stuff to trigger cams.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out Domoticz, you could in theory run it along side on your BI Server.. I'm using the Dahua HTTP API to call presets directly on the camera instead of through BlueIris, but im sure you could do it through BI too if you wanted.

Ive got some example screenshots in my home automation thread, it'll run on linux better if your more comfortable with that... SmartThings/Vera/Etc were not hackable enough for my tastes.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Check out Domoticz, you could in theory run it along side on your BI Server.. I'm using the Dahua HTTP API to call presets directly on the camera instead of through BlueIris, but im sure you could do it through BI too if you wanted.

Ive got some example screenshots in my home automation thread, it'll run on linux better if your more comfortable with that... SmartThings/Vera/Etc were not hackable enough for my tastes.
I'll look into it, does it require programming knowledge? Or only to do really custom things? Will it work with various z wave stuff or is there a lot of work to make it work with each device?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
on/off can be simple http GET requests if you find the API docs for BI and figure out the URL to craft.. no coding nessicary, and if you want to do more advanced reactions there is LUA which is a very simple to learn scripting language, lots of examples..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
on/off can be simple http GET requests if you find the API docs for BI and figure out the URL to craft.. no coding nessicary, and if you want to do more advanced reactions there is LUA which is a very simple to learn scripting language, lots of examples..
Yeah looks like they sell a USB zwave stick so you can add those and use the computer as your hub, I'll download it into a VM and check it out. It looks like it's got a mobile app and everything. I should probably join their forum and ask around about some of the things I want to do right away.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats what im using is a Z-Stick on a lil Arm Computer, they have a windows build so no need to run it in a VM if you dont want the overhead.

Scripting lets you get alot more bang for your buck, then you can apply whatever logic you want.. ie, If Sensor1 is ON and Sensor2 is ON and NightTime then http request to BlueIris to trigger event, etc.

they have a Blocky scripting UI thats even simpler than LUA, but its a bit limited

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
thats what im using is a Z-Stick on a lil Arm Computer, they have a windows build so no need to run it in a VM if you dont want the overhead.

Scripting lets you get alot more bang for your buck, then you can apply whatever logic you want.. ie, If Sensor1 is ON and Sensor2 is ON and NightTime then http request to BlueIris to trigger event, etc.

they have a Blocky scripting UI thats even simpler than LUA, but its a bit limited
yeah I was just gonna test it in a vm, I've got 2 raspberry pi's laying around I could run it on, or something like that, haha.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just installed this plugin on my Vera lite hub. I can't seem to add my username and password. The two fields won't let me add the details.

Is there a way to add the credentials manually in the advanced settings tab?

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't seem to get this working. The plugin hasn't been updated for a while so perhaps it's just no longer compliant with the latest Vera

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is still working ? Cheers.