Blue Iris video settings - Dahua camera models explained

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just got multiple IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras and for some of them, I would like to enable two-way audio. I have setup everything related to audio on cameras via their web interface and general settings in Blue Iris.

Pressing Find/Inspect in Blue Iris always selects Generic/ONVIF as Make, which causes back-channel audio not working. Setup RTSP back-channel for talk support (PCM-U format) gets unchecked every time settings are saved. But just selecting Make Dahua and Model *Main Stream RTSP (or some of the other models) causes two-way talk to work well (no other changes in settings).

My question is, what is the difference between Dahua models in Blue Iris (listing only those for which two-way audio works from the Android app with IPC-B5442E-ZE):
  • *Main Stream RTSP (what is the meaning of * here?)
  • HFW2300R-Z, 81200E RTSP/HTTP (stream does not switch to main stream if this one is selected)
  • IPC-A35 RTSP
  • IPC-HFW4431R-Z RSTP/ONVIF
And which one is the best for IPC-B5442E-ZE?

Moreover, I would also like to control IR illuminator from the app. There are again multiple options under PTZ/Control - Network IP:
  • ONVIF (OXML)
  • Dahua HFW2300R-Z/2320R-ZS/81200E
  • Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z
  • Dahua New V4 (only this one works for adjusting the zoom)
  • Dahua New V5
  • Dahua/Q-See RTSP
What are the underlying differences? If possible, I would also like to control Alarm Out, because I use it to power my speaker amplifier (I currently do it manually by executing http://<camera-ip>/cgi-bin /configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&AlarmOut[0].Mode=2).

Thank you!

Note: I have read trough the following related threads and found only similar problems, but no explanation:
. Blue Iris And Camera Setting Questions
. Dahua cameras model not listed on Blue Iris configuration screen
. Working with settings of cameras / Dahua / BlueIris
. IR control and camera model
. How to add camera to BI that is not in the drop down list
And some threads which gave me idea that selecting specific camera model will get two-way audio working:
. Amcrest IP4M-1051 2-Way Audio problems
. More Audio frustrations after updating - Anyone else?
. Audio surveillance
. Blue Iris Troubles!!!
And many more...

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bullet version of the 5442-ZE does not havebuit-in two-way talk or audio - you have to use the input/outputs and add external mic and speaker, which it sounds like you have done.

The Setup RTSP back-channel for talk support (PCM-U format) is for unique specialty like some doorbells, not the Dahua cams.

The best setting is the one that works for you. If the Dahua and MainStream RTSP works with your audio, then you use that one.

In most conditions, the find/inspect will find the most appropriate settings. Most of my Dahua cams come in as generic. Totally fine. All this tells BI is the ports and what not to use.

Now with audio, it changes it as ONVIF usually doesn't contain/support the two-way audio, so it is trial and error to figure out which one you need for your particular camera, which it sounds like you have done.

For some cameras in BI, the little "light bulb" icon bottom will toggle the IR on and off, but no guarantee. The best way is to figure out the API commands.

Keep in mind BI is more a VMS to receive video and set up alerts/etc. Any functionality under the PTZ control tab that controls the camera is a bonus and changes from camera to camera as this section is intended to be for a PTZ camera not a varifocal camera...