Blue Iris WAN side not accessible...

Reaction score
HI all.

I have spent a fair amount of time online on Google and am yet to find a solution.

Many situations I came across due to port forwarding but this is not the case here.

I have set all ports and they are working.

So much so that I can access it via a web browser but not over the internet on my phone.

What am I doing wrong?

All ports forward, including those that allow direct access to the cam work just fine from out wan.

I would like to buy this software but not if I can't get this to work.

Regards,
Albert

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @Carlos Arruda,

What port are you using for the Blue Iris web server? A lot of ISP's will block port 80 so if you're using port 80, try a different one.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only way to tell if a port forward is working is trying to access it from the internet, or being port scanned on the "WAN Side".. If your phone is not working then it is indicating your port forwarding is not working, possibly the port you choose is blocked upstream by your provider... port 80 often is.

I would recommend you forgo the port forwarding and setup a VPN Tunnel, vastly more secure and trouble free.. its like your at home with direct access to everything.

Reaction score
The only way to tell if a port forward is working is trying to access it from the internet, or being port scanned on the "WAN Side".. If your phone is not working then it is indicating your port forwarding is not working, possibly the port you choose is blocked upstream by your provider... port 80 often is.

I would recommend you forgo the port forwarding and setup a VPN Tunnel, vastly more secure and trouble free.. its like your at home with direct access to everything.
Hi everybody.

I have set this all up to access the camera itself and there's no problems there.

Port forwarding is working as it should do.

I can access it anywhere like this but using Blue Iris has proven to be a challenge.

I have used port 80, 81, 82, 83, 85, 88 and now 8081 still no can do.

My no-ip ddns is working fine as I said before I have no issues accessing the camera's own webserver directly from outside "WAN".

It looks very good software, packed with features and I have already purchased the app for the mobile.

Locally this has proven to be great for monitoring my 14 month old boy at night time.

Regarding setting up a VPN I have never done it sadly even though I have done and successfully passed a CCNA 2 year college course about 6 years ago.

I am quite familiar with small to medium networks but this software is yet killing me.

For those of you wondering a CCNA educated person not ever done a VPN setup well, I tried to step in to the industry and never happened so I have been doing small IT here and there for the past 20 years and the VPN situation has never presented itself.

I have done recently a follow up on a youtube video but that proved fruitless. The VPN connection is there on my windows 7 PC but I just can't login. I have also disabled all firewalls etc.

Perhaps I should give it another try.

Any more ideas anyone?

Thanks for helping.

Regards,
Albert

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You have something set wrong, there a hundreds of us here who have it working perfectly. Just to clarify your issue, you are able to view your blue iris remotely from a web browser but not via your phone? Or is remote access not working remotely at all?

Reaction score
You have something set wrong, there a hundreds of us here who have it working perfectly. Just to clarify your issue, you are able to view your blue iris remotely from a web browser but not via your phone? Or is remote access not working remotely at all?
Yes. That is correct.

I could access it remotely via a web browser but not through the phone app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you entering the port number after the external ip in the cell app? Are you on ios 8?

Reaction score
Are you entering the port number after the external ip in the cell app? Are you on ios 8?

Android mate, on S5 mini.

The app won't even connect locally now.

local = 192.168.28.245:8081 (this is the IP for my computer, not the camera) the webserver is set at that port and on.

external = "myddns".net:8081

This worked all night in the local LAN monitoring my 14 month boy with sound and all. Now won't even connect.

I can see the potential of this app but the fact that the PC must stay on was already detrimental to me choosing to stay with this.

Had I known the app, which cost me £6.61 was dependent of the software and a machine on, I would have thought twice before buying it.

But having these issues to connect from outside, it's definitely putting me off.

Same some software won't just work out of the box.

Ip Cam viewer basic works a charm, in and outside the lan.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to understand that the app was never intended to work independently. It was specifically designed to work with the blue iris server. In the app description it explains that you must have the server installed and running on a pc. The bi server requires 24/7 operation..its designed to be an NVR, which requires it to be on. ipcamviewer (although he built some recording into it) is primarily a viewer and does not have anything close to the functionality of blue iris.
Are you sure the BI server is at 192.168.28.245:8081 did you set the BI machine to have a static ip? There is simply something set wrong in your settings or network, i have this working flawlessly in many locations.
Just as an aside, you should not be port forwarding any cameras that you have in a private area as they are not secure and anyone can gain access to them.

Reaction score
Part of my Cisco CCNA and in all of my customers it's all, whenever possible, static IP addresses.

The cam is now behind the TV where I can see the baby travel cot.

http://myipcams.ddns.net:8081 "I can always change my DDNS server later on".

I'll know if anyone login on this side.

You are at will to logon and check it please.

User settings on the server;

user/password=ipcamuser

Online port scan shows port 8081 as opened and mcafee firewall is of.

Thank you.

Reaction score
No5;

That was shall I say very helpful?!

To everybody else, many thanks for the input.

I have set up my webserver, ftp server and they are all working online.

No luck with the Blue Iris.

My last resort is to reset my BT Fiber router and start from scratch.

My network is segmented if it helps. "255.255.255.240 or /28". Shouldn't make no diference.

I'll have it all reset tonight and will post the results.

I have come across many users who weren't lucky either and in the end they have moved to an alternative solution.

Shame as I can see the potential this software has got compare to others.

Many thanks,

Albert

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the app or blue iris. Most of the folks with issues are not port forwarding properly.
IF you are able to access the bi server from a REMOTE location (an actual remote location not using your external ip on your own network) and you cannot access blue iris (using the SAME user name and password, because there is an option in the user profile to limit to LAN only) then make sure you are not testing you phone while its connected to your local wifi network. If you are connected to your own network it may not work due to nat loopback issues. You need to use your local ip.
Another thing to try us just to create a new user name. I have seen this solve problems.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a port in the 50000 range, guarantees no issues. I have been using the app for over a year with no issues from remote as long as my internet is up.

Could it possibly be the mydns DNS lookup is being cached by your phone provider? The TTL is being ignored and is not being updated as your IP changes? Try using your phone connecting to the webserver on BI and not the app. If the problem continues, then it could be provider related. If it does work, then double check your settings in the app.

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have just about had enough of this really.

I even moved to a PC with a brand new install of windows 7.

All other apps for IP Camera Monitoring are working fine using my No-Ip DDNS settings.

As mentioned before, my own FTP and WEB server are working fine.

Setting up ports is not of this world. BT Home Hub router can be at times temperamental but port forwarding works fine.

The only thing I have not yet done is to reset the camera settings and the router as well.

I think after a router full reset and then set it all up again, my wireless and my own segmented network, if it still does not work then that is it for me, sorry.

This shouldn't have to be this problematic.

Thanks all for trying to help.

Regards,
Albert

Many

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PEBCAK

Try finding a reset button on this attitude of yours, its not the softwares fault, its not the routers fault, its not the kind people here on the forums fault, its not your Operating Systems fault, or your computers fault, or your DNS's fault.'

This does not work for one simple reason; YOU do not have it setup correctly.. you came in here full of piss and vinegar and im sorry you wasted a few dollars on an application you did not understand and cannot get to work but freaking relax and listen to us.

The fact that you have a CCNA and cant setup a VPN speaks volumes.. Ive helped people whom have never plugged anything into a network setup a VPN.. but then again they didn't think they knew everything and were capable of following instructions.. Your now destroying your network and rebuilding it from the ground up instead of just learning this simple, and easy to setup process you could of had running days ago.. speaks of how you troubleshoot.

Whats even worse is its probably a very simple thing you have been overlooking or ignoring.

Reaction score
nayr,

I can see you sign at the end of your thread as a network engineer, well congrats.

Some of us did never had the luxury of even stepping in to the industry and a CCNA done nothing for me in terms of employ-ability.

Nevertheless, regarding the VPN setup I wonder why is it so surprising one never had set up a VPN before.

Just to prove a point a college of mine who's been luckier than me, has never turned his screen by 90 degrees, but when his kid done it accidentally, I promptly rectified it for him with the simple press of a few keyboard keys and yet he's never done. As I said, never had the need to.

Regarding this app, well all my other IP CAM viewer software are working with no issues.

IP Cam Viewer Basic - on port forward and working "just 4 settings to this little gem, local IP, outside server "no-ip server here with port", username and password, up and running and at a £0.00 cost.

IP Webcam - on port also working

IP Camera - on port also working

Just to show a few that work almost out of the box. So one is bound to be slightly upset when something you pay for does not quite perform as such and causes nothing short of a headache.

Apologies if I sound too blunt or ungrateful even, but this is rather upsetting as the Blue Iris software comes highly recommended and I can honestly see why.

Now, it should just work almost out of the box with few little changes to it.

Just to be clear, I am grateful for all input and help provided either here in the forum or anywhere else I have looked for help.

And you are right, you are indeed great, kind people, who give some of your spare time in helping others.

Please note that I am not alone with this one as I have found countless threads online where user never got a final solution, just like myself.

Once again, many thanks for your support and help, as it is truly appreciated.

By the way, with so many videos on how to setup a VPN on YouTube one does not know what the fuss is about.

Regards,
Albert

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just installed another app. TinyCam monitor.

Set it up and was running in no time.

That aside, I have gone to No-Ip and changed my DDNS name to a shorter one. 8 letters shorter to be exact.

Thought, let me change the settings on Blue Iris as well.

Swicth off the wireless and switched on the network carriers internet.

Called up the app, press connect and OMG.

What is this? It logged on for the first time.

Could this have been related to my DDNS settings?

Again, this confirms my port forwarding is fine.

Still, why all this to get it to work.

Many thanks everybody.

Regards,
Albert

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
perhaps you found some obscure bug with far too long of a domain name, you might contact BI support and let them know of your findings so they can test and fix it if needed.

I thought it was suggested before to try your external IP instead of DDNS name, perhaps not but it would of been a good idea in retrospect :p

The first place to start for setting up a VPN is to see if your router/modem has a VPN Server built in, alot of them do and thats the best palace to set it up.. If your Router does not have a VPN Server you can configure your Windows BlueIris server to also run a VPN Server, its built into windows you just have to configure it and forward the ports.. Android and iOS devices have VPN Clients built in, so when they are not on your local WiFi just enable the VPN and its like your back home on your own network... It will also provide you strong security for all your traffic when your using unencrypted HotSpots on the go... If you can forward ports and know basic networking you can setup a VPN.. its not like you have to understand cryptography and have a masters in physics.

A VPN would not have had these issues because you'd of used the local, non-routable IP address for both LAN and WAN access.. no need to reconfigure when you go WAN.

Reaction score
perhaps you found some obscure bug with far too long of a domain name, you might contact BI support and let them know of your findings so they can test and fix it if needed.

I thought it was suggested before to try your external IP instead of DDNS name, .
That is the thing nayr.

I did do try to connect externally by using just the external IP and it wouldn't connect I'm afraid.

Honest to GOD, the only thing I did after installing this new app, and having changed my DDNS name was to make those changes in BI.

Now, alot more to do with all the other settings , e-mail, motion detection etc....

For the time being this camera is to keep an eye on my baby boy "14 months old, not so much baby now I know".

If it keeps going like this now, I am well in the way of purchasing the BI software, preferably at a discounted rate.

Regarding the VPN, I don't think my router supports that, but I'll check it out.

With all this VPN talk I am now curious about it, but like I mentioned in the past, I have never been presented the need to set one up. A few remote control stations but never VPN.

Many thanks nayr and everybody who tried to help.

Regards,
Albert