Blue Iris web browser problem, must be logged back in after random intervals

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two installs of Blue Iris; one for my home and one for my business. Both run the latest version however I've been having issues with my business install. I use the web browser as my main viewing console and I keep both up at the same time. My home one works fine and will never logout however my business one will go black and kind of blink with Red X over the Clips thumbnails. If you refresh the page it will ask you to log in then work for a random amount of time then do it again. Both have the user profiles session time limit disabled and I can't find a setting elsewhere that would cause this behavior.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use any other local web sites with the same host name? Blue Iris uses a cookie named "session" to keep track of your authentication status, and cookies are categorized by host name so it is possible that some other web application hosted by the same host name (e.g. "me.no-ip.com" or "192.168.0.10") is assigning its own value to the "session" cookie and causing Blue Iris to become unauthenticated. The other web application would be using a different port number, more than likely, but as long as two applications share the same host name, they share the same cookies.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is the only web application on this host but I was thinking it maybe something like this with two different Blue Iris web browsers running simultaneously. I've tried running them in different windows and only the business one but it exhibits the same behavior. I would think if it this were the cause the other one would randomly have issues as well but it's rock solid and never goes down. Is there any other setting that may cause the session to terminate other than those under the user profiles?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no other setting that would terminate a session that I know of. It is also possible that Blue Iris is crashing and restarting automatically. When Blue Iris crashes, all existing sessions are closed. You should be able to find evidence of this in Blue Iris' log if it is happening.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If this problem is not caused by Blue Iris crashing, then there are some other things you could try.

1) Open the Blue Iris web interface in a different browser that you don't normally use for anything else. There are lots of browsers to choose from... Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari, just to name the most popular ones.

2) You could try my UI2 page. It has two features which may benefit you.
2a) UI2 should automatically detect session loss and reconnect itself.
2b) UI2 has the unique ability to connect to other Blue Iris servers besides the one it is being hosted on, and when it does this, it does not rely on the session cookie of the remote server. So you could install the UI2 page on your reliable system, and use it to connect to your unreliable system and maybe, just maybe then it would remain reliable. You can set up additional servers for UI2 to connect to by clicking the system name in the upper left corner, then choosing Manage Servers.

Keep in mind, all UI2 options including the server list here are stored in the browser's local storage, so don't expect to make a change and have it appear in other browsers or on other devices.

You can find the download link in my signature just below.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It worked well for most of the day but around 10 I noticed the view was frozen at 8:30 when I got a motion text from a thunder storm. When I reloaded the webpage it stalled for a while then let me log back in stalled showing this for about 5 minutes. I closed this session and opened a new one with the regular .jpegpull and it came up as normal.
Error.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is strange. I've never had the loading just stall like that unless I had network connectivity problems.

Is any of this using wifi?

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everything is hard wired. It came right up with the regular jpegpull but it did the same thing it was doing before after about 5 minutes. The server seems to be running fine in the background. I'm on my laptop trying it and the jpegpull works, then when i switch to the ui2.htm/ it does the same thing stalling on the load screen like nothing's on the other end.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After restarting the server the ui2.htm came up. Is there anyway this can be made to detect signal loss? I restarted a second time with the ui2.htm running and it just freezes and unless you look for movement or the clock you don't notice it's not active.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for not being clear, after restarting your program is working again. There is obviously some under laying issue with Blue Iris here that's causing the web UI to crash and I'll keep investigating that. With your program however I was curious if there is a way to detect signal loss from a camera or if the server is lost so you know it stopped receiving a signal rather than showing a still of the last frames it received? Thanks again for the help and great job on your program it's very slick :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The UI doesn't have a good way to detect a camera's "signal loss" state. I'm not sure what I would be able to do with this information even if I had it...

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've noticed this with the default UI as well. Say Blue Iris crashes, the Web UI will stay frozen on a scene so you have no idea there is a problem until you notice the scene hasn't changed in a while. I'd say all it needs to do is show a lost connection message if a keep alive times out. Blue Iris should send Camera Signal loss messages, this would just be for when the server goes down.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats your system load at? that busy message might indicate a resource exhaustion..

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
I know that this is an old thread but I have the same issue and here is what I've discovered (note - I don't have a solution).
My Story:
I have been using El Capitan for quite some time using Safari for viewing my 2 BI installs.
I just updated to Sierra and now in Safari I get the timeout where I have to refresh the screen and log back in.
NOTE: If I connect using Chrome I don't get the issue.
So - El Capitan + Safari is ok, Sierra + Safari is not.

More strangeness - If I go look at the Blue Iris Status -> Connections, the broken/Safari screen doesn't have a user assigned when it's the screen stops refreshing and in Messages I see a 'Logout'.

So bbarenz, I don't know if you are using Sierra+Safari but this is what I'm currently having an issue with.