Blue Iris won't start on login

Jayseaman

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running Blue Iris 5.4.3.7 on an Intel NUC with Windows 10 Home 19042.928. I am running Blue Iris as a service.

When the system reboots, it does login as the Blue Iris user and the service starts.

However the Blue Iris UI does not start. I have the BlueIris.exe as a Startup item, and it shows as enabled in the Windows Setting->Startup Apps screen.

It comes right up when I double click the desktop shortcut to the same file.

I've been searching in the forum this morning for a solution, but I haven't found anything that changes this behavior

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ui won't start that way. There are a bunch of threads that explain how to use task scheduler to do it.

Jayseaman

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I just wanted to report back on what worked for me.

My quest to accomplish this began because occasionally when the PC screen blanked, it would not re-awaken. None of the keyboard, mouse or front panel button would cause the screen to come back on. The Blue Iris Service was still running, as I could access that either from the mobile app or the web page, so the PC itself was not hung. I started by having the PC reboot every morning and manually starting the UI. But that didn't solve the problem. The ultimate cure was to go into Windows Settings, Power & Sleep and set both Screen and Sleep to "Never".

I still have the PC reboot weekly, so I still needed a fix for the UI auto start on login
As bp2008 said, the trick here was to use Windows Task Scheduler to create a shortcut which runs "with highest privilege" and runs when the BlueIris user logs in, so thanks for the pointer to the SevenForum post to create a shortcut with elevated permission without UAC prompt