Blueiris evaluation or other suggestion

AlphaBlueIris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a blue iris purchased app on one vm, I purchase another server due to the blueiris server getting too old for it. Can I install an evaluation copy of blueiris and setup the other server to make sure everything is working right and then delete the other vm and use the license from the other server? I know I could copy the entire machine over but the GPU card is different and I would like to start with a fresh install. Suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest that before you deactivate it on the old machine, first go to BI "Settings" => "About" => "Email Support" and paste your info into a Notepad ".txt" file and save it where you can get to it, maybe put on a flash drive to take to the new machine after you install BI on it; it'll help you with the re-validation of the BI license. You can avoid typos by just copying/pasting it in.

AlphaBlueIris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great suggestion. What is the best way to copy the configuration from the blueiris. Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great suggestion. What is the best way to copy the configuration from the blueiris. Thanks

From BI's built-in "Help":

Export and Import
You may save the camera’s settings to a .REG file, and then later import that same file to restore its settings. This is one way to “copy” settings from one camera to another as well. The default registry export format is compressed and this format is required when using the Import button. However if you hold the Shift key while clicking Export, the file will be saved in a human-readable text format. To re-import this type of registry file, you must double-click it from Windows.
There are buttons to export and import all software settings (including all cameras) at once on the About page in Settings.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From BI's built-in "Help":

Export and Import
You may save the camera’s settings to a .REG file, and then later import that same file to restore its settings. This is one way to “copy” settings from one camera to another as well. The default registry export format is compressed and this format is required when using the Import button. However if you hold the Shift key while clicking Export, the file will be saved in a human-readable text format. To re-import this type of registry file, you must double-click it from Windows.
There are buttons to export and import all software settings (including all cameras) at once on the About page in Settings.
I'm looking at the "about" page in BI settings, and I can save the reg files for general settings, and then go to each camera and also export the reg file. But I don't see a way to export ALL settings and cameras AT ONCE as Help says, or to "shift" select to save as a txt file as it says also. Do either of those options still exist?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the "about" page in BI settings, and I can save the reg files for general settings, and then go to each camera and also export the reg file. But I don't see a way to export ALL settings and cameras AT ONCE as Help says, or to "shift" select to save as a txt file as it says also. Do either of those options still exist?
when you export settings in the about tab all settings including cameras are exported other than the license key.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
when you export settings in the about tab all settings including cameras are exported other than the license key.
odd. When I export from the about page, it updates the blue iris.reg file (after asking to overwrite). But the "Front.reg" or "Back.reg" files do not get written there, I have to go to each camera settings and export from that page. Where am I missing something? as far as I can see, they aren't being written somewhere else either. I do set the export folder to a folder in my docs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you taken that export and imported it in and none of your cameras are there? It is just one file that exports out.

The individual camera exports are if you wanted to do just one camera import/export like if you were testing something and wanted a backup of just that camera in case you screw up.

Or sometimes for some reason one camera doesn't export out and then you bring it in.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you taken that export and imported it in and none of your cameras are there? It is just one file that exports out.

The individual camera exports are if you wanted to do just one camera import/export like if you were testing something and wanted a backup of just that camera in case you screw up.

Or sometimes for some reason one camera doesn't export out and then you bring it in.
oh! so the blue iris.reg file contains the others? well, that explains it! Thanks!

and the uncompressed version that you can make with shift/export? does that work? Less important, but I could have seen the other camera settings there I guess if so? (NOTE, I SEE THAT THIS DOES WORK>>>JUST SAVES AS SAME FILE NAME< BUT UNCOMPRESSED! )

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh! so the blue iris.reg file contains the others? well, that explains it! Thanks!

and the uncompressed version that you can make with shift/export? does that work? Less important, but I could have seen the other camera settings there I guess if so? (NOTE, I SEE THAT THIS DOES WORK>>>JUST SAVES AS SAME FILE NAME< BUT UNCOMPRESSED! )
Funny, as that is exactly what the help file says will happen. ;)

kenardoni

n3wb
Reaction score
Running BI on a Windows 8.1 VM using four of my 8 xeon cores and 4gb of ram. 7 hikvision cams.
  1. I'm using direct to disk on all 7 and lowered fps to 20 directly on the cams web configuration. CPU is still 100%. Is it because of the "evaluation copy" overlay? Setting d2d doesn't really affect anything which makes me think that 10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 .
  2. Stay with Windows 8.1 or upgrade to 10?
  3. If I purchase BI and have to blow away my vm, will there be any license problems reinstalling?
  4. EBay license purchase safe to use? It's cheaper and claims to be authorized.
  5. Will BI always be using all this CPU power? Can it be set up to only record on motion OR does the software always have to be analyzing for motion to catch/start recording? I'm not even sure if it's possible, but could the cameras just signal BI to record even a few seconds before the motion? I'm unclear if the camera or software controls this and if one is more CPU efficient.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. d2d doesn't work on eval copy.
Using substreams for motion detect and main stream to record does better at lowering CPU usage than does HA on the hardware decode.
2. Do a fresh install of Win 10, not an upgrade on metal if you can, using MS Media Creation Tool on USB drive...takes 15 mins.
Put Windows, BI and BI "db" folder on SSD, video clips on surveillance-rated HDD such as WD Purple.
3. No, on licensed BI "settings" => "about", click on"email support", copy/paste activation code into notepad and save somewhere, on same "about" page click on "deactivate".
After reinstall, paste the actvation code in from that text file when asked.
4. How much cheaper? I recommend buying here on IPCT.
5. No. Yes. Yes.

Last edited: