BlueIris Freazing Win7. High CPU Usage.

kcenter

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm kinda new to Blue Iris. I setup my first system a couple months back and have been slowly adding cameras as I have time. Right now I'm up to 8 - 3mp cameras (1920x1080 @ 30fps), all made by Hikvision.

The issue(s) I am getting is very high CPU usage(80-95%), especially when I run Blue Iris as a service and then run the client to view the video streams. Also the whole computer will lock up on me. No mouse movement, not keyboard response. Ctrl+Alt+Del is ignored.

I am running this on a custom built computer:

Intel Core i7-4790

16 Gigs DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

On Board Intel Graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4600)

ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97

Built In Ethernet on Mobo (Atheros AR8171)

Win7 Pro x64

The OS is installed on a Samsung 850 Pro SSD and the Video data is recorded to a 4TB WDD Purple drive.

So far I have turned down the preview frame rate to 5fps as recommended in another thread I found searching Google.
And increase the receiving buffer on each camera to the max of 20mb.

And setup a the Task Scheduler to reboot the computer every.

I thought I had the problem licked, but when the store gets busy and there is a lot of motion on the cameras and they all start recording I get 90%+ CPU usage, and when I came in this morning the system was locked up, with the time shown on screen being late last night when no one was here. (So no motion events).

So wondering if you guys have any ideas on what could be done to help with this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Two issues you should look at..first ram...blue iris is a 32bit application as starts acting strangely after 3gb of ram is utilized (64 bit reportedly coming soon)..
Second CPU, try reducing the record frame rates....15 should be just fine....30 is overkill for most applications...
Another option is to record direct to disk...by way of example, recording 6x3mp and 2x2mp=22mp total on a i7-4770 im utilizing about 40 percent cpu at idle...all cams at 15fps (except two at 20fps)....

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also drop your live view fps to 5 or 10, that helps a lot with CPU usage.

kcenter

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Two issues you should look at..first ram...blue iris is a 32bit application as starts acting strangely after 3gb of ram is utilized (64 bit reportedly coming soon)..
Second CPU, try reducing the record frame rates....15 should be just fine....30 is overkill for most applications...
Another option is to record direct to disk...by way of example, recording 6x3mp and 2x2mp=22mp total on a i7-4770 im utilizing about 40 percent cpu at idle...all cams at 15fps (except two at 20fps)....
All cams @ 30fps BI service was using about 2.5gigs of ram. I dropped 6 of the cams down to 20fps, and now its using about 1.8gigs of ram, and the CPU usage is right now down to the 40% area. I will keep an eye on it and see what it looks like when I get another rush of people and see if it stops freezing.
Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience you get bad behavior after about 2.5 GB of RAM usage.

There should be no need to automatically reboot the computer.

Otherwise, what fenderman said is exactly what I would recommend. Reduce the frame rates in the camera web interfaces, not only in Blue Iris. If you still need to reduce CPU usage, enable Direct to Disc recording for each of the cameras (this setting is under the Record tab for each camera in Blue Iris).

But I suspect you will cut the CPU usage by nearly half just by cutting the frame rate in half.