BlueIris Intel Hardware Acceleration wont run as service now

kcenter

n3wb
Reaction score
So I just discover that I can use Hardware Acceleration with BI to cut my CPU usage almost in half, which is wonderful! But I ran into the same problem many others have, that if you run BI as a service, all my cameras show up with "No Signal".

So I turn off "Run as a Service" and tried to make Windows 7 auto-launch BI by using the task manager but no go. It just ignores it (I'm thinking because it ask for Admin rights when you launch it)

So does anyone have a work around for still running as a service with Hardware Acceleration turned on or does anyone have a way to make the launch on startup work?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I just discover that I can use Hardware Acceleration with BI to cut my CPU usage almost in half, which is wonderful! But I ran into the same problem many others have, that if you run BI as a service, all my cameras show up with "No Signal".

So I turn off "Run as a Service" and tried to make Windows 7 auto-launch BI by using the task manager but no go. It just ignores it (I'm thinking because it ask for Admin rights when you launch it)

So does anyone have a work around for still running as a service with Hardware Acceleration turned on or does anyone have a way to make the launch on startup work?

Thanks!
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html?ltr=E

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I emailed the developer yesterday asking about the status of getting this bug fixed, as of yet, I have not heard anything back from him. It would be nice to know if he is working on it or if it will just never be fixed for Win7.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ken (the developer) wrote me back....he said he was not aware of this issue. I am in awe that no one has emailed him about it since it has been going on for months. I guess everyone assumed everyone else had sent him an email. He said it was not high on his priority list (guessing because no one has complained about it), so if you are one of the people impacted by this issue, please send him an email so he can get a feel for the urgency and how many people this issue impacts. I'm not really wanting to switch to Windows 10 for many reasons, so I do not see that as a fix. I see that as an absolute last resort.

TomFoolery

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmm...I just looked at the thread you referenced...I'm not sure why the developer claims he has never heard of it...fenderman pretty clearly said he has notified the developer. At any rate, the more people that complain about it increases the odds that it will get worked on. Right now, it does not appear to even be on his radar. I absolutely do not want to go to Windows 10.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm...I just looked at the thread you referenced...I'm not sure why the developer claims he has never heard of it...fenderman pretty clearly said he has notified the developer. At any rate, the more people that complain about it increases the odds that it will get worked on. Right now, it does not appear to even be on his radar. I absolutely do not want to go to Windows 10.
To be clear, i did not notify the developer..that statement was made based on other threads where users indicated that they reported the issue.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense and would explain why Ken said he was not aware of the issues.

Reaction score
I notified the developer back in November about the issue. He stated it was not high on the priority list. I stopped following up with him on the issue because I upgraded to Windows 10.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it looks like he did know....hmm....wonder why he told me he had not heard about it....

TomFoolery

n3wb
Reaction score
Developer has responded saying HW acceleration with service is incompatible on Windows 7, and I would need to upgrade to Windows 10 to fix it, or not use the service option, or not use HW acceleration. Disappointing reply but there we go. As much as I'd like to upgrade, Windows 10 is out of the question as i said before it randomly locks up all the time on my setup. No good at all for a cctv system. Maybe I'll try 10 again when a service pack comes out or something but until then I guess i'll have to lump it or look for an alternative.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Developer has responded saying HW acceleration with service is incompatible on Windows 7, and I would need to upgrade to Windows 10 to fix it, or not use the service option, or not use HW acceleration. Disappointing reply but there we go. As much as I'd like to upgrade, Windows 10 is out of the question as i said before it randomly locks up all the time on my setup. No good at all for a cctv system. Maybe I'll try 10 again when a service pack comes out or something but until then I guess i'll have to lump it or look for an alternative.
There is nothing wrong with windows 10..I have it on a bunch of blue iris systems....do a clean install.

TomFoolery

n3wb
Reaction score
It would appear you are correct, Fenderman. I have (reluctantly) tried Windows 10 again and after 4-5 days the system has not showed any previous symptoms and is running smoothly. Hardware acceleration is also working a treat via service. Third time lucky I guess! I still have no clue as to what caused the lock ups with Win10 previously, so can only assume updates have cured it :)

Many thanks for everyone's time.