BlueIris network setup question

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been doing a lot of research on this forum lately for a home camera system I'm planning to set up.

i was kind of set on an NVR until i read a thread about BlueIris and now I think I'm going to go that way...

Just wanted to reduce my install labor and ugliness outside with regards to conduit. I have an old 4 family brick building, semi attached, and cant really route wires through the interior walls (apt's rented).

I'm thinking i can get all of my cameras on the front and rear corners of the building and be okay and run the ethernet down in a conduit to the basement wall. that being said, i already have the entire basement wired with ethernet jacks that all goes to a server room.

do you guys think there is any issue hooking up 2 POE switches at both ends of the building, and plugging those into my existing network wall jacks, with a BlueIris PC wired in somewhere else on the network?

Would this type of setup also work with an NVR? or do the cameras need to be plugged directly into the NVR to work?

all my switches are 1Gbps (not sure if that matters).

I'm open to suggestions, since I'm in the planning stages of this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't see any issues if you mean POE switch (powering two cameras on one end of the house) using the existing wall jacks as uplinks back to server room using existing wiring. While, depending on the wire length you might be able to have those switches in the server room, it might take more jacks than you have at each end of the basement.

1Gbps certainly won't be a problem. Unless you are running high MP cameras and high frame rates I don't think you'd have difficulty with 10Mbps ethernet. (i.e. my 2.1MP camera is sending 102kB/s at 15FPS, although this does spike with movement and if I did my math right that's approx 0.8 Mbps).

Last edited:

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see any issues if you mean POE switch (powering two cameras on one end of the house) using the existing wall jacks as uplinks back to server room using existing wiring. While, depending on the wire length you might be able to have those switches in the server room, it might take more jacks than you have at each end of the basement.

1Gbps certainly won't be a problem. Unless you are running high MP cameras and high frame rates I don't think you'd have difficulty with 10Mbps ethernet. (i.e. my 2.1MP camera is sending 102kB/s at 15FPS, although this does spike with movement and if I did my math right that's approx 0.8 Mbps)
i was thinking of having 3 cameras at each end of the building. all going to one unmanaged 5port POE switch, plugged into a single ethernet wall jack at eacheend of the bldg as the link back to the rest of the nework. total length of cable will be <200'

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't see any issues with that setup, I have my POE switch about 100 feet away from the camera, and you are proposing to put them closer for convenience and send data for 3 cameras across the uplink port back to your server room. While 10Mb would probably work, just get yourself 100Mb/1Gb POE switches for when addiction requires more cameras on either end of the house, or in case you need to hook up a high-bandwidth device you'll already have adequate hardware at that location.

Do check out some of the recommendations about network layouts (VLANs and isolated networks) as the cameras can be a weak link in the network if they are allowed to "phone home". Check out one of many, many posts like: Dual NICs to isolate cameras? where the techniques and benefits of isolated and VLAN networks are discussed on these forums. Also read the wiki and VPN tutorial, as your next question is likely to be "How do I setup a secure way to view cameras" once you get them connected, and you should avoid all port forwarding that gets recommended elsewhere on the web and in camera manuals.

Last edited:

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see any issues with that setup, I have my POE switch about 100 feet away from the camera, and you are proposing to put them closer for convenience and send data for 3 cameras across the uplink port back to your server room. While 10Mb would probably work, just get yourself 100Mb/1Gb POE switches for when addiction requires more cameras on either end of the house, or in case you need to hook up a high-bandwidth device you'll already have adequate hardware at that location.

Do check out some of the recommendations about network layouts (VLANs and isolated networks) as the cameras can be a weak link in the network if they are allowed to "phone home". Check out one of many, many posts like: Dual NICs to isolate cameras? where the techniques and benefits of isolated and VLAN networks are discussed on these forums. Also read the wiki and VPN tutorial, as your next question is likely to be "How do I setup a secure way to view cameras" once you get them connected?
Thanks for the extra info!