Blueiris Ram usage?

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I just added 2 more camera to my setup for a total of 4x 5mp camera at 15fps recording 24/7. The ram usage went all the way to 97% of my 8G so I added 4Go and now it’s running at 75% of 12Gb.

is that normal for just 4 cameras? I saw some memory leak tread and installed the recommended intel drivers known to work fine with blueiris but that changed nothing.

I’m panning to add 3 more cameras in the future for a total of 7 cameras. What is the recommended ram amount? CPU is around 17%.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just added 2 more camera to my setup for a total of 4x 5mp camera at 15fps recording 24/7. The ram usage went all the way to 97% of my 8G so I added 4Go and now it’s running at 75% of 12Gb.

is that normal for just 4 cameras? I saw some memory leak tread and installed the recommended intel drivers known to work fine with blueiris but that changed nothing.

I’m panning to add 3 more cameras in the future for a total of 7 cameras. What is the recommended ram amount? CPU is around 17%.

Thanks
That sounds very high. What resolutions/frame rates/bitrates/pretrigger times are you using for those. What other software are you running aside from blue iris. Have you excluded blue iris program and storage folders from your antivirus? Also note that blue iris benefits significantly from dual channel memory which you are not using because you dont have matching pairs.

Reaction score
Also--- Direct to Disk is likely to help if you aren't already doing that. Changing that gave me back a good chunk of CPU power, where if 2 were triggered I was running in the upper 90's, now it rarely breaks 60% with 2 recording.

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That sounds very high. What resolutions/frame rates/bitrates/pretrigger times are you using for those. What other software are you running aside from blue iris. Have you excluded blue iris program and storage folders from your antivirus? Also note that blue iris benefits significantly from dual channel memory which you are not using because you dont have matching pairs.
I'm already using dual channel memory (2x 4Gb matching pair + 2x 2Gb) with matching pairs so not sure why you are saying I'm not. As for the Resolution I'm running at 5MP/15Fps/1000kbs/5sec pretrigger

specs.jpg

Also--- Direct to Disk is likely to help if you aren't already doing that. Changing that gave me back a good chunk of CPU power, where if 2 were triggered I was running in the upper 90's, now it rarely breaks 60% with 2 recording.
I'm already using direct to disk.

As I said CPU usage is low I'm just having issues with the high ram usage at the moment.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm already using dual channel memory (2x 4Gb matching pair + 2x 2Gb) with matching pairs so not sure why you are saying I'm not. As for the Resolution I'm running at 5MP/15Fps/1000kbs/5sec pretrigger

View attachment 62352

I'm already using direct to disk.

As I said CPU usage is low I'm just having issues with the high ram usage at the moment.
Your bitrates are very high but that should not cause issues with your small number of cameras. What else are you running on that system? As far as dual channel if you just picked up a matching pair but they are not exactly like the first in spec, some motherboards wont run it in dual channel.

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your bitrates are very high but that should not cause issues with your small number of cameras. What else are you running on that system? As far as dual channel if you just picked up a matching pair but they are not exactly like the first in spec, some motherboards wont run it in dual channel.
Blueiris is the only thing running as service. Currently using 7Gb of ram out of 12Gb. As for the bitrate do you suggest turning it down?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blueiris is the only thing running as service. Currently using 7Gb of ram out of 12Gb. As for the bitrate do you suggest turning it down?
Are you saying that BI is the only thing running as a service or the only thing running period.
On most 5mp cameras generally anything higher than 4096 particularly if running h265 in wasting space.

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you saying that BI is the only thing running as a service or the only thing running period.
On most 5mp cameras generally anything higher than 4096 particularly if running h265 in wasting space.
This is the only thing running on the pc. It’s a dedicated pc for blueiris Optiplex 9020 i7 4790 3.6Ghz 12gb ram with ssd for database/os and 10tb hdd for new

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the only thing running on the pc. It’s a dedicated pc for blueiris Optiplex 9020 i7 4790 3.6Ghz 12gb ram with ssd for database/os and 10tb hdd for new
Is this a clean windows install using the MS media creation tool or the dell oem install?
Is the ram usage high immediately after a reboot or does it gradually increase

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this a clean windows install using the MS media creation tool or the dell oem install?
Is the ram usage high immediately after a reboot or does it gradually increase
Clean windows install using MS media creation tool.
Ram is high as soon as the recording is started. It does not gradually increase it's stable at 7Gb after starting blueiris in green light mode.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Clean windows install using MS media creation tool.
Ram is high as soon as the recording is started. It does not gradually increase it's stable at 7Gb after starting blueiris in green light mode.
what version of blue iris are you using?

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anything higher than 4096kb/s? I'm only at 1000kb/s. My cam only support h264

Reaction score
Don't know if this will matter, but you are not using hardware acceleration. This is based on your post #4 picture of the cameras tab, no # sign in the Pixels column.

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't know if this will matter, but you are not using hardware acceleration. This is based on your post #4 picture of the cameras tab, no # sign in the Pixels column.
Yes you’re right I just turned on (intel) and I’m now only at 15%cpu but the ram is still at 7Gb.

Reaction score
If you go to Task Manager, what is the total memory in use and what is used by BI?

On my system, total used is 8.8GB and 2.9GB by BI. I have 2x16GB dual channel, i7-8700, and am running 18 cameras 8800kB/s and 534MP/s.

exomic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you go to Task Manager, what is the total memory in use and what is used by BI?

On my system, total used is 8.8GB and 2.9GB by BI. I have 2x16GB dual channel, i7-8700, and am running 18 cameras 8800kB/s and 534MP/s.
7.1gb for Blueiris and 9.1Gb used total on 12gb and I’m only using 4cameras at 5mp 15fps it doesn’t make sense

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anything higher than 4096kb/s? I'm only at 1000kb/s. My cam only support h264
KB/s is different than Kb/s....

4,096 Kb/s would equal approximately 409.6 kB/s in Blue Iris.

Go into your camera GUI and you are probably at bitrates of the 10,000 range on two of the cameras and 8,000 range on the other two.

After you made the HA changes above, reboot your system and see if it changes. Mine went high after an update and went back down and stayed down after a reboot.