BlueIris Windows Service not running as a named Windows local account

spongerX

n3wb
Reaction score
For the past couple of weeks I've been having issues with BlueIris filling up my SSD New folder drive and not moving recordings to my network share Storage drive. I had BI set to run as a Windows service using a local account that had read/write access to the network share. In the past this allowed for copying files from the SSD New folder to Storage and playing back from the network location. When I started looking into the problem I noticed that one of the updates received in the past few weeks seems to have stopped BI from running as a Windows service with an account other than Local System but I'm not able to identify which one. With the current version installed (4.3.7.0) if I change the BI service back to the local Windows account used before and restart the BI service when I go back into the BI console the tick is removed from the Run as a Service option in BI. When I tick the box again it resets the BI service to run as Local System and then can't copy to the network storage location.

To work around this I've had to change my BI Storage folder to a local drive. As soon as this was done and BI service restarted all the files from the New folder that were outside the time and size limits for the New folder moved to the local Storage folder. Rebuilding the database allowed me to access all my archived clips as well. I really need to be able to store on a network drive as I don't have nearly as much storage on my local BI install as I do on my Linux storage server.

I'm on BI 4.7.3.0 x64. Anyone else have similar issues recently? I've submitted a support request email but haven't received a response yet. I know the developers are pretty busy so hoping the community might have a fix or recommend a working version I can downgrade to in the interim.

liquix

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever get a response or figure this out?

Reaction score
Same issue here, awaiting a fix or work-around. I run files to a large SSD on my file server, I have little local storage on my BI host server.

spy111000

n3wb
Reaction score
Same problem.
The BlueIris windows service that automatically starts at startup can't access my NAS server.
Emailed BI for support.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue isn't a BlueIris specific problem. It's a Windows/Networking problem.

You guys have a few options.

1) Don't run it as a service. Set it to start when you sign in (just google for instructions if you need them) and set your account to auto sign in (google) and if need be auto-lock (google) :) This means BlueIris will run with the permissions that account has and have access to the network shares visible to it.

2) Change the share permissions on your server/NAS to Anonymous/Everyone. (Or restricted by IP/MAC address, VLAN tag, etc. Just not user/password.)

3) Set up the an iSCSI target on the NAS/Server and mount it as a "local" drive. (A bit complicated, but better performance than a regular network share)

3) You could futz with the service settings and have it use the same credentials that the network share is looking for. That likely would need to be redone every so often, and could have permissions issues that impact how BI functions. I'd see if there's an office BI stance on it before doing so.

I'm sure there are other ways to address the issue, and if you do some googling along the lines of "windows service cannot access network share" you may have some luck.

Reaction score
Hi @Zanthexter and all,

Sorry for dragging up an old post, however I am too stuck in this rut.
I'm pretty new to BI so please correct me if I get things wrong.

I want BI to move recordings into folders on a Synology NAS.
I want BI to auto-run if the PC restarts or after AC resumes from a power cut.

What I've tried...
I set BI to run as a service, and then modified the service in Windows Management to use the local PC account (as opposed to the system account). However, the service now fails to start and displays a logon failure error. " Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure ".

I've looked into Zanthexters idea of setting up the computer to auto sign in and then run BI. However, for some reason BI needs to be run as Administrator. So this complicates matters further and as far as I know, to get around this, the only way maybe to turn of UAC. Is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Phil.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @Zanthexter and all,

Sorry for dragging up an old post, however I am too stuck in this rut.
I'm pretty new to BI so please correct me if I get things wrong.

I want BI to move recordings into folders on a Synology NAS.
I want BI to auto-run if the PC restarts or after AC resumes from a power cut.

What I've tried...
I set BI to run as a service, and then modified the service in Windows Management to use the local PC account (as opposed to the system account). However, the service now fails to start and displays a logon failure error. " Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure ".

I've looked into Zanthexters idea of setting up the computer to auto sign in and then run BI. However, for some reason BI needs to be run as Administrator. So this complicates matters further and as far as I know, to get around this, the only way maybe to turn of UAC. Is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Phil.
yes there is...there are a bunch of threads discussing both nas setup and multiple was to auto start.

Kinros

n3wb
Reaction score
Running the service under a local user context with the correct permissions to the NAS and local files fixes this issue.