Bootloop DH-SD50225U-HNI

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
As of a few months ago I'm experiencing my DH-SD50225U-HNI bootlooping. It progressively became worse in time, in the end sometimes bootlooping all night. On other times it boots strait up and works for hours. There's no real pattern to it. I've tried different firmwares and with one firmware (don't know with one anymore) it was ok for weeks. No bootloop. I thought well that's it, problem solved. Until it bootlooped again. Sometimes it keeps spinning round 2 times, then tries to startup ptz ( I think) , and then spin again 2 rounds, but sometimes it stays "forever"in that position after spinning. I once tought it could be a mechanical problem, but that thought went away after I flashed the firmware that worked for weeks. I'm now thinking it could be the ptz, so before I take the camera off the wall I would like to try some different new ptz bin. Question is, which one and how. From what I've read it is the same method as flashing firmware, but I want to be sure. Same goes for the bin file I need. I've read some about putting in the wrong one things become worse. I've attached pics displaying what's inside the camera now. FYI The camera has been hanging outside now for 5 years with all wires going through the wall. But could corrosion be a thing? I.mo it should be constant failure then. Thanks for reading, I would love to have your input on this.

Attachments

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I've taken a shot at updating the ptz. Version General_SD50XXX-HN_MCU_V2.401.0000000.64.R.200219 failed to update but version General_SD50XXX-HN_MCU_V2.301.0000000.25.R.191224 got in and I got a rebooting message. Version now looks like attached picture. Hoping this did the trick.

Attachments

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
In my opinion, it could be a power issue as well. I would check the connections at the camera, they are clean, or corroded?

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
To check the connections, I have to remove the camera. I will do this if the problem remains. I have a few days off starting tomorrow, so i will have the time.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Or try powering it with the power supply and see if anything changes, course if it is possible.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At any point did you perform a reset back to factory defaults?
This can be done via the cameras setup interface.
If not, I would try that. Then set the cam backup from scratch, don't import saved settings.

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I have done this in the last few weeks, it did not stop the bootloop. Setting the cam back up from scratch is easy peasy...I have them in my head lol. For now, the camera has been up for a few hours without a hickup. So far so good, but it's not a garantee.

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, the other day I accidentally saw something which was very odd. I had all cameras off except for the dh-sd50225u-hni, which looks over the parking lot behind my house.
I was expecting the mailman, so I turned on my frontdoorcamera, a Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE. And then I saw it. The 50225 started to bootloop and it looked like the
PTZ did not start up. Powered all cameras off, Turned the 50225 on again, it booted up just fine, no hickups. Then I turned on the frontdoorcamera and not long after the 50225 acted up again, seemed like getting stuck when starting up the PTZ. Tried it a 3rd time, this time watching closely on BI. And it happened again. Tried it with my other cameras, but it only happened with my frontdoorcamera. My backdoorcamera is the same type as my frontdoorcamera, but that one did not cause any problems. The cameras have their own IP and ports forwarded, there's no conflict. They each have their own path to the Synology as well (using ftp). changed the IP off the frontdoorcamera, but it made no difference. It looks like somehow, someway, the frontdoorcamera causes the 50225 to act up. The last 2 days I had both cameras on, but not at the same time. No problems then. Only when the both of them are on at the same time, the 50225 acts up. Both cameras have their own LAN, connected to my router. I will look into this when I have the time, thinking of using WireShark to analyse. Weird thing is, it has worked ok for years before.

Reaction score
Well, the other day I accidentally saw something which was very odd. I had all cameras off except for the dh-sd50225u-hni, which looks over the parking lot behind my house.
I was expecting the mailman, so I turned on my frontdoorcamera, a Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE. And then I saw it. The 50225 started to bootloop and it looked like the
PTZ did not start up. Powered all cameras off, Turned the 50225 on again, it booted up just fine, no hickups. Then I turned on the frontdoorcamera and not long after the 50225 acted up again, seemed like getting stuck when starting up the PTZ. Tried it a 3rd time, this time watching closely on BI. And it happened again. Tried it with my other cameras, but it only happened with my frontdoorcamera. My backdoorcamera is the same type as my frontdoorcamera, but that one did not cause any problems. The cameras have their own IP and ports forwarded, there's no conflict. They each have their own path to the Synology as well (using ftp). changed the IP off the frontdoorcamera, but it made no difference. It looks like somehow, someway, the frontdoorcamera causes the 50225 to act up. The last 2 days I had both cameras on, but not at the same time. No problems then. Only when the both of them are on at the same time, the 50225 acts up. Both cameras have their own LAN, connected to my router. I will look into this when I have the time, thinking of using WireShark to analyse. Weird thing is, it has worked ok for years before.
The simplest to try, is get yourself an AT+ POE power injector and use that for power. As others have said, and you found out when all your cameras were off, it looks most definitely to be a power issue. An injector like this should (hopefully) solve your problem.

Try it, and let us know if it resolves you problem.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Every camera has its own power supply, I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I find this not to be logical tbh.
Understood. FWIW - External power supplies do go bad, many times not providing enough volts/watts as they should. I presume you have tested it? I would still try using POE+ for both network and power. The only reason to use external power supplies is preference, there is no advantage. With POE+ there are inexpensive testers that will diagnose issues with cabling, poe, etc. I had a PTZ1A225U-IRA-N camera that exhibited the same issue as yours, and the injector solved the problem.

Cache450

n3wb
Reaction score
I was just about to post this same exact problem that I am having with an SD49225XA-HNR that i have mounted 24’ feet up on side of a building. I havent dared get the ladder out to climb up there to diagnose it because its straight ice on the ground below.

funny thing is that i am powering it via power supply (not POE) just like you. And it has gotten worse over time also. To the point now that i shut it down until the ice melts on the ground below. I have been frustrated with this camera since day one because I would lose video feed from it occasionally but i blamed it on the ubuiquiti wireless link antennae's i was using.

thinking back now its all making sense because i would lose video feed almost every time that i had made a significant manual move via ptz controls. My theory is that my power supply was never up for the job and it is now failing.
I originally used a power supply because that was the best option at the time but I had plans to switch to poe after running cat5 underground. Looks like i will be climbing that ladder after all!

Last edited:

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, mine has not looped since I've left the frontdoorcamera off. So I'm pretty sure it is not the power supply. I can play around with PTZ all I want without any problem. But when I turn the frontdoorcamera on at the same time the 50225 is on, the irregularity begins. What is strange to me is the fact that is has worked for a few weeks flawlessly when I put in other firmware and after a few weeks starts to loop again progressively. No real pattern. But I will see into this soon.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When using a seperate power supply, you have to follow this:
*The power supply MUST meet OR exceed the specifications that the given camera needs.
*The proper sized wire must be chosen based on the calculated voltage drop over the distance needed.

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately it has looped again, frontdoorcamera was offline. If all goes well there will be a poe+ injector arriving today. If it is the power supply it will show. Edit: PFT1200 has arrived. Plug and play (and pray) .

Attachments

Last edited:

Melle

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, since the usage of a poE+ injector there has been no bootloop. Looks like a power issue after all. What strikes me as odd though, is why did it bootloop a few times when I turned on the frontdoorcamera. Thanks to all who gave input on my issues, I appreciate it!