Both AC power & POE for redundency

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Anyone know if it's possible to supply power to Hikvision IP cameras via both POE and AC adapter simultaneously? I have 2 cameras that I would like to do this with, one is a 2CD2732F, and the other a 2CD2135F. This is purely for redundancy as I have someone that seems to be eyeing up my wiring setup. Currently the cams are running POE but I do have 12v DC cables in place that run from a different location, it would be good if one wire gets cut I can rely on an alternative power supply. I have read this is possible with some Bosch IP cams, but am unsure about Hikvision ones - and obviously I don't just want to try it for fear of blowing the lot up!
Thanks in advance for any advice.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No. Don't apply PoE and 12v at the same time, depending on the camera, it's possible this could damage things.

If wires get cut, why wouldn't they cut all the wires? If you want redundancy, put your PoE switch on a UPS.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Tangent. Yeah, I had the POE switch on an APC UPS but it blew up over Christmas, and then I thought that it was kinda stupid to run my cameras and other devices from a UPS which was converting 230v AC power to 24v to then convert back to 230v in the case of a power cut just to supply multiple 12v power adapters when I could just use little 12v DC UPSs that are less intrusive in terms of heat, space and noise - plus with 20 a/h batteries (1 on each UPS which were scavenged out of the broken APC unit) I now get about 11 hours of backup for my NAS, Router, Modem and 3 IP cameras as opposed to 4 hours with the old UPS. Yes, the one problem with that is I can no longer backup power to my 48v POE switch with this method which is why I have now ran additional power cables. Unless someone actually climbed directly up to the cameras they would not be able to cut the POE as once it is beyond about 30cm from both cameras the ethernet cable is completely concealed.
I know this is overkill, but it seems like seeing as I have both cables available and some other camera brands have this ability, then why not Hikvision?
If anyone out there has successfully tried this method of wiring, let me know. I doubt I will get any joy from Hikvision support as the 2 units I am hoping to do this on are CCH.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
No. Don't apply PoE and 12v at the same time, depending on the camera, it's possible this could damage things.

If wires get cut, why wouldn't they cut all the wires? If you want redundancy, put your PoE switch on a UPS.
Hi tangent is it ok to do this when you run a ptz with all the hick vision ones I've done come with a power brick just to take the load off the nvr
I run two cat cables
one takes the signal the other I twist the strips together for negative and solid colours for positive and if they want a mic seven hooked up I just split the power supply at the junction box under the camera I haven't had a problem yet fingers crossed for over year and a half

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tangent. Yeah, I had the POE switch on an APC UPS but it blew up over Christmas, and then I thought that it was kinda stupid to run my cameras and other devices from a UPS which was converting 230v AC power to 24v to then convert back to 230v in the case of a power cut just to supply multiple 12v power adapters when I could just use little 12v DC UPSs that are less intrusive in terms of heat, space and noise - plus with 20 a/h batteries (1 on each UPS which were scavenged out of the broken APC unit) I now get about 11 hours of backup for my NAS, Router, Modem and 3 IP cameras as opposed to 4 hours with the old UPS. Yes, the one problem with that is I can no longer backup power to my 48v POE switch with this method which is why I have now ran additional power cables. Unless someone actually climbed directly up to the cameras they would not be able to cut the POE as once it is beyond about 30cm from both cameras the ethernet cable is completely concealed.
I know this is overkill, but it seems like seeing as I have both cables available and some other camera brands have this ability, then why not Hikvision?
If anyone out there has successfully tried this method of wiring, let me know. I doubt I will get any joy from Hikvision support as the 2 units I am hoping to do this on are CCH.
A lot of cameras are a bit temperamental when it comes to their 12v supplies. You'd end up creating more headaches.

Yes the conversion from battery to 120-240v modified sine wave and then to 48v and then 12, 5, 3.3, 1.5, 1.2 is not supper efficient but it's the most practical and reliable solution that's easily available.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi tangent is it ok to do this when you run a ptz with all the hick vision ones I've done come with a power brick just to take the load off the nvr
I run two cat cables
one takes the signal the other I twist the strips together for negative and solid colours for positive and if they want a mic seven hooked up I just split the power supply at the junction box under the camera I haven't had a problem yet fingers crossed for over year and a half
I don't really know, I'm not an authoritative source on the matter. IIRC, I have read accounts of people damaging their cameras here when they connected both PoE and 12v (PTZ may use 24vac). It seems like if the camera's getting 12v it ought to have the ability to turn off some part of PD circuit or otherwise have enough diodes to prevent issues, but I'm not sure that's the case.

I do know that if I power a Dahua camera with PoE I can measure about 1.2v on the pins of the 12VDC barrel jack. So I really wouldn't recommend connecting both. A PTZ powered off 24VAC going to have a rectifier and more power circuity, so you're less likely to have issues (but I still wouldn't recommend it).

Powering the camera from a second cat cable using the supplied adapter is fine, but I'd try to make sure the switch/nvr is set to not supply power on that port if you can or connect it to a different non-poe switch.

Last edited:

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A 3 dollar mask can defeat your security cameras you’re worried about someone cutting the wires...:smash:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the Lan cable is cut how will you view/record?
Do you have SD cards installed?

Best redundancy is to use another camera in an alternative location to compliment the view.

Last edited:

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A 3 dollar mask can defeat your security cameras you’re worried about someone cutting the wires...:smash:
Hi Camit.

In all fairness you don't know my situation. I have two cars that are parked in the basement of a residential building that is monitored by 2 cameras. Only a handful of people have access via an electronic key fob. This is a bad neighbour problem that has been going on for years. Prior to camera installation 4 years ago my vehicles were repeatedly damaged - scratched, nails driven into tyres . Poison was put down for my dogs, 1 of which ate it and died - that's not a nice experience when your much-loved family dog dies a horrible death in your arms I can tell you. These neighbours are hated by everyone but tolerated by most. I'm the only one that has directly stood up to their bullying tactics and as a result of that my family and I have become targets.

I don't care about seeing faces. I'm not going to be going to the police any more as that's all been done - it's too time consuming and this is Bulgaria we're talking about here. What I am concerned about it ensuring that my camera setup is as tight as possible - reliably notifying me of activity around my vehicles and always on and recording. I have a 3 year old child now, so I need to know that my wife is not driving my little one to nursery in a car that's been tampered with overnight. Anyone that has been in this type of situation knows that is all consuming and very stressful. The cameras have brought me a lot of peace and much reduced stress levels. I asked a question as I've seen this guy showing interest in my newly run DC power cable - which seeing as it's been retrofitted is not completely concealed like the others - and it seems like I've got my answer - unless anyone else has tried this kind of setup? Thanks to all that have and will continue to reply constructively, it's much appreciated.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the Lan cable is cut how will you view/record?
Do you have SD cards installed?
Hi Valiant!
Both cameras have SD cards installed that I'm assuming can be configured to record locally in a 'network down' incident like the one you describe. (both are now running quite recent FW v5.2.5, so I assume/hope this is possible?). I'm not concerned about the NW cable being cut to one of the cameras as it's totally concealed in the wall all the way to my apartment aside from a small run of about a foot from the camera itself which is mounted about 15ft high. The other camera does have a visible conduit that contains the ethernet cable, but this area is in full view of camera 1. Also the power supply to camera 2 comes from a totally inaccessible location with it's own dedicated DC UPS. It is in my opinion pretty tight, but the possibility of making it even tighter by connecting both POE and AC power on camera 1 made it a question worth asking especially given that the cable is in place and it's just a simple matter of plugging it if it is indeed possible, which it seems it isn't...

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes the conversion from battery to 120-240v modified sine wave and then to 48v and then 12, 5, 3.3, 1.5, 1.2 is not supper efficient but it's the most practical and reliable solution that's easily available.
And most UPSs only do that when the main power is out. Otherwise, they just pass AC through to the outlets unmodified.