Brand Name of your Solid State Disk (SSD)

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What will be your preference Brand name when it comes to Solid State Disk (SSD) ?

My dell tower that has the 240Gb Sandisk SSD Plus (comes with 3 year warranty) as main disk for win 10 decided to go dead after about 3+ years and now i am in the marked of getting a new ssd and want to
see what you guys have in your BI Pc Towers.
This is where win 10 is and BI Software is. (Recordings go to a regular hdd tb.)

Here is few from the list :

SK hynix
Samsung
Crucial
Sandisk
Adata
Kingston
Wd Blue
Wd Green
Seagate
Pny
Silicon Power
Inland Professional
Addlink
Pionerre
Toshiba
Toshiba OCZ
Londisk

What you prefer ?

Thanks,
P.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've installed for others or have: 1 Kingston v300 60GB Nov. 2014, 2 Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Feb. and June 2016, 2 Samsung 0860 EVO 250GB March 2019 and a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB Sept. 2019: all working great but the Samsungs are my favorite (1 of the 250GB and the 500GB are mine with Win 10 fresh install....VERY quick and slick install from USB media).

I intend to buy more Samsung 860's when a SSD is needed!

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

I see that the Samsung 0860 EVO 250GB is $60 on Amazon with 5 star rating. Looks that Samsung keeps their price up , i see the sandisk for 500gb ssd for $65. I guess less gb and more $ comes to quality and lasting.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Been running a Samsung 840 120GB since 9/2012 and though not related I found that I also have been running (2) ZyXEL ES1100-8P POE switches since 9/2012 as well. NewEgg keeps a good record of your purchases :)

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, if you are running Windows, the Samsung SSDs can utilize a function (installed by Samsung Magician) that more than doubles their speed.
Check out the "Rapid mode" feature.

RodeoGeorge

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Intel and Samsung, both are over provisioned with decent amounts of extra memory cells so they last longer and decent sized cache.
Keep in-mind, the cheaper the SSD generally more bits per CELL (meaning if your cheap SSD stores 4 bits per cell (MLC) , compared a single cell (SLC), then then expect the drives life span to be reduced by 75%. MLC drives will be offset with more spare CELLS, but you get the point....just trying to keep the explanation simple.

The most important elements when selecting an SSD,
- Cache performance. Most writes will hit the FLASH memory on the SSD not the memory cells. So the SSD should have a decent sized cache and be high-performance
- Type of memory cells (SLC, MLC, and TLC NAND) - MLC drives are cheaper as they store multiple bits per cell, but to write a single bit, the drive needs to erase the entire cell contents and copy back the original unchanged bits + the new\changed bit. This carries a large performance hit (when the cache is full)
- Interface (SATA,mSATA, M2.0 sata, M2.0 pci express, M2.0 USB) the interface is typically over rated. Pointless to shell out for a M2.0 pci drive with slower memory cells and small cache. Most cases, where budget is an issue you are better off getting a better SSD using a plain 6 gbps sata interface, rather than a slower ssd with a lighting fast 2.0 pci interface. M2.0 is a physical standard, so depending on if it is sata or pci, very different performance characteristics. And if you are really cheap you can find M2.0 SSD drives with USB interfaces, slower than a damn physical SATA drive, but people think it's great as it's M2.0, but really just USB in an M2.0 socket.

At the risk of getting shot, you typically pay for what you get. I have no issues using a cheap SSD if you know what you are getting.

Last edited:

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So a 250gb ssd should be enough to run win10, BI and Security software ? (from what i remember the one i had few months back was enough, just thinking if i should get 500ssd or just stick to the 250gb ssd.)
All recordings from BI will go to a backup hd drive and not on main.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just order the "Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD" from Amazon should arrive this afternoon, then will have too transfer all from the old hdd to the new one.
Hope the Samsung will last for a while.

Thanks to all for the advice and recommendation .

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Samsung EVO 860. Great drives and I have a half a dozen of them. Current one I bought is 1TB.