Brand new Blue Iris PC built, now need camera recommendations

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here. I've been reading lots of posts on this forum primarily regarding Blue Iris PC configurations by fenderman. I am now in the process of putting together a new PC with a i7-6700 Skylake CPU, 16GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and 1TB WD Purple to start out. I have a small 2000 sq ft single story Texas home and we have seen a uptick in crime this year -- both car and home break-ins. I recently upgraded and re-programmed my alarm system and now I am trying to get some cameras primarily to monitor the outdoor areas and may put some cameras indoors in the living areas. I am thinking a camera for the front driveway, camera for the front door and a camera for the back door/porch area at a minimum to cover the outdoor areas. Back area may be difficult to run cable to because of vaulted ceilings.

Perhaps some indoor cameras for two living areas (single story home) and maybe one additional room to keep an eye on the kids. I am looking for suggestions on the types of cameras to buy for these applications (residential). I am not looking for something top of the line, but I want a product that will last for years and give me a decent frame rate and resolution and be easily handled by my hardware. I've been reading 15fps is usually sufficient. How many cameras could I drive with this kind of Blue Iris PC?

I know the people here are recommending Hikvision and Dahua brand cameras but what are the current models that are worth buying and which resellers? I am willing to wait for products shipped from China if the savings is significant enough, otherwise a US supplier is preferred so I can start the project earlier. I also do not know much about warranties or support of cameras shipped from companies like Ali Express since I have never ordered from them before. I usually order electronics from eBay or newegg, sometimes amazon although I don't prefer amazon.

Are there camera suggestions for cameras $90 - $150? Do I have to spend more and what will I be getting for the extra money? Again I believe in investing in quality so I don't have to waste my time replacing crappy hardware later on. I think a camera with microphones to record audio would be awesome.

I planned on running cat 5e since all the networking I have run in the past is cat5e (it's cheaper) or is cat6 better for PoE or future proofing? What switch do people usually buy for PoE?

Some pointers will be good or links to existing posts since I know this a common sort of question. Appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I planned on running cat 5e since all the networking I have run in the past is cat5e (it's cheaper) or is cat6 better for PoE or future proofing? What switch do people usually buy for PoE?
Since you are putting it in for the first time I would say put in Cat6 just because there is no use putting in older tech I could list the advantages to the technology but for your application it doesn't really matter honestly. With that said, a 2000' sq ft home all your runs will be less then 200' from the PC/Switch to each camera so honestly you will not notice a difference between Cat 5/6. Just assure you get Solid Copper and NOT stranded or CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum).

Here are two references to cost effective great cable.
1000FT 24AWG Cat5e 350MHz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), Bulk Ethernet Bare Copper Cable - Blue - Monoprice.com
1000FT 23AWG Cat6 500MHz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), Bulk Ethernet Bare Copper Cable - Blue - Monoprice.com

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I also do not know much about warranties or support of cameras shipped from companies like Ali Express
There isn't any - if you receive a defective camera you will need to send it back (normally at your expense) and they will ship you a new one. If it fails at any point after install you're pretty much SOL. You have to weigh the savings vs. buying in the US for a little more but getting a 2 or 3 year warranty.

If you want a wide selection of Dahua especially the Starlight series getting a lot of traction at the moment on the forum you are going to have to go the AE route.

If you want to go the HIK route you can go domestic from either Nelly's Security who is a site sponsor here, or you can look at LTS which user @milkisbad can help you with, just search the forum. Both companies use HIK and just private label them, provide 2 or 3 year warranties depending on the model, and provide all the tech support should it be needed. Honestly when it comes to HIK, the savings offered by AE normal aren't enough anymore to justify the wait and no warranty as these private label retailers have really become competitive in pricing.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the pointers. Been hearing good things about the Dahua Starlights on the forums as well. Specifically, this camera: IPC HDW5231R Z IPC HDW5231R Z/S2 Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball IP Camera 2.7mm 12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group. Any issues ordering to the U.S. by e-Packet? I saw some problems with payments not going through mentioned.

There isn't any - if you receive a defective camera you will need to send it back (normally at your expense) and they will ship you a new one. If it fails at any point after install you're pretty much SOL. You have to weigh the savings vs. buying in the US for a little more but getting a 2 or 3 year warranty.

If you want a wide selection of Dahua especially the Starlight series getting a lot of traction at the moment on the forum you are going to have to go the AE route.

If you want to go the HIK route you can go domestic from either Nelly's Security who is a site sponsor here, or you can look at LTS which user @milkisbad can help you with, just search the forum. Both companies use HIK and just private label them, provide 2 or 3 year warranties depending on the model, and provide all the tech support should it be needed. Honestly when it comes to HIK, the savings offered by AE normal aren't enough anymore to justify the wait and no warranty as these private label retailers have really become competitive in pricing.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the pointers. Been hearing good things about the Dahua Starlights on the forums as well. Specifically, this camera: IPC HDW5231R Z IPC HDW5231R Z/S2 Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball IP Camera 2.7mm 12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group. Any issues ordering to the U.S. by e-Packet? I saw some problems with payments not going through mentioned.
Personally I've never had any issues, I use my American Express card and never been rejected or had a problem, epacket normally takes 2 -3 weeks on average for me in the midwest.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems like the Dahua IPC HDW5231R Z is a decent camera for the outside areas I mentioned. What is a good indoor camera for a garage or living room area?

Also, is a Chase visa card good for Ali Express purchases for Dahua equipment? I've been seeing threads about payments not going through and asking for verification such as identity cards. I don't want to deal with that kind of hassle.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can use the dahua for the garage as well...
for indoors, look at the hikvision or dahua cube cameras

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about pairing the IPC HDW5231R Z cameras with cheaper cameras? I am thinking the best cameras should go in the front and maybe get cheaper Dahua starlight series cameras for the back. Is this a fool's errand or should I pay $170 for the kick-ass camera and maybe leave some areas uncovered until I save up more money? I am thinking I need about 4 cameras in front, 1 in the garage and 2 in the back. That's 7 cameras. Indoors could wait until later I suppose. I intend to add motion sensed security flood lights to driveway, back porch and garage as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What about pairing the IPC HDW5231R Z cameras with cheaper cameras? I am thinking the best cameras should go in the front and maybe get cheaper Dahua starlight series cameras for the back. Is this a fool's errand or should I pay $170 for the kick-ass camera and maybe leave some areas uncovered until I save up more money? I am thinking I need about 4 cameras in front, 1 in the garage and 2 in the back. That's 7 cameras. Indoors could wait until later I suppose. I intend to add motion sensed security flood lights to driveway, back porch and garage as well.
I would save up and get the better cams to begin with...
Dont use motion floods...use dusk to dawn or better yet use this geo-coordinate based timer.
Honeywell Econoswitch RPLS740B 7-Day Solar Time Table Programmable Switch for Lights and Motors - Wall Light Switches - Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In other words, use normal outdoor lights that turn on at night? Any advice on types of illumination? My driveway is currently very dark and could use a brighter more central light there (there is one that is small to the left partially covered by a tall bush). I have 3 relatively dim patio lights, 2 in front, 1 in back.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In other words, use normal outdoor lights that turn on at night? Any advice on types of illumination? My driveway is currently very dark and could use a brighter more central light there (there is one that is small to the left partially covered by a tall bush). I have 3 relatively dim patio lights, 2 in front, 1 in back.
yes...if they are controlled by a switch then you can use the honeywell location based timer...if not use a dusk to dawn sensor....led floods...or any outdoor led fixture that you find aesthetically pleasing...the starlight will do fine..

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I am going to start with 4-5 hdw5231r-z after I confirm I can get them. I have posted my house diagram with my proposed cam placement (yellow diamonds). I don't know if the hdw5231r-z is good as a front door cam or overkill. If the price is similar to other front door cams, then I may as well just stick with this one camera since it's so good (based on what I've read here).

Right now I am trying to get most of the front area of my house and the garage. The back I may do later since it's more of a pain in the ass with vaulted ceilings and the costs are getting up there. I am still open to suggestions on camera placement. It's a one story house and i have a 7 foot brick wall in the front area that you can see that blocks a lot of area (it has archways but obscures a lot of the front of the house). However, there is a big front window so I was thinking of putting a camera there in case someone tried to break in at that point. Then have a cam in the middle of the driveway right above the doors or even in between the two garage doors (it's twin door all wood siding in this area), inside the garage (center rear), front door, and one on the eaves facing the front yard and street. The garage has wood siding in front but is brick around it.

house_diagram.jpg

Any suggestions on height? I see people suggest about face height in most cases, but I can't do that for the one facing the front yard since there is brick there so I thought the eaves will work for that one. I mainly want this one to watch cars driving by and my wife's car parked on the street (she parks where it says "Street"). The front door porch area also has siding around the door and brick around the enclosed area.

In the back, I want a camera on the shed and anyone trying to break into the back door and back window in the rear right corner of the house. I actually proposed placing a camera on the patio cover itself. It's all wood and I could run cat5e/cat6 to it and mount easily. I guess with only 2 I may have a blind spots on the master bedroom windows in the rear right corner of the house. Also thinking of putting these about as high as the eves or patio height which is 7-8 feet high.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a residence configuration such as yours and use a 9 camera set-up. I am using Blue Iris (make sure you have a powerful enough computer). I have everything hard wired with CAT 6. I struggled with camera choice over a 2.5 year period trying four different brands in various areas. I finally settled on LTS cameras through milkisbad. I have been very pleased with the turret cameras. After a lightning strike I updated some cameras to bullet motorized varifocal cameras so I would have a choice of viewing angle. I found that although more expensive they solved many issues related to getting just the viewing angle I wanted. If that is not your desire, I would go with the turret fixed focal length. All in all I have been very happy with the LTS cameras. Great product, US based, fast service, quality shipping and wonderful response by milkisbad.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the input on the cameras. I do have milkisbad's catalog and I am going through it but don't totally understand everything I see in there. Which varifocal models are you referring to? I see a varifocal camera listed at $199 (CMIP9723-S). The varifocal domes start at the price as and go up as well. Since that is above the varifocal turret starlight Dahua model I am looking at, I'm not sure it's very affordable. Can you recommend a front door camera that is less than $170?

Still would love some feedback on my camera placement as well. Thanks!

I have a residence configuration such as yours and use a 9 camera set-up. I am using Blue Iris (make sure you have a powerful enough computer). I have everything hard wired with CAT 6. I struggled with camera choice over a 2.5 year period trying four different brands in various areas. I finally settled on LTS cameras through milkisbad. I have been very pleased with the turret cameras. After a lightning strike I updated some cameras to bullet motorized varifocal cameras so I would have a choice of viewing angle. I found that although more expensive they solved many issues related to getting just the viewing angle I wanted. If that is not your desire, I would go with the turret fixed focal length. All in all I have been very happy with the LTS cameras. Great product, US based, fast service, quality shipping and wonderful response by milkisbad.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The turret camera I chose was the LTS CMIP3042W with the LTB307 Junction Box. Focal length changes the model of the camera. I chose the 4mm.

The motorized bullet I chose was the 2.8-12mm CIMP9743W-SZ. I had a non-motorized model hit by lightning; it was fortuitous as the non motorized version was just too much trouble to play with. Now focusing and changing the focal length is a breeze.

These cameras are not the least expensive but they are US Based, work well with Blue Iris, and have been trouble free in operation and installation.

As far as placement is concerned, just about everyone here has more knowledge than me. In general I covered the entrances to the pool enclosure and the entrance to the house from the pool deck. Front Door, Front Walkway, Driveway where vehicles parked and front lawn to include mailbox and entry to driveway and the road going by so I pick up all vehicles driving by. Placement is subjective; it is what you want to accomplish.

Good luck, it is an interesting project.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those LTS cameras do look nice and the warranty and support may justify the cost. I just put in an order of 5 IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras with Andy. Looking forward to kicking off the project. It's not enough cameras which is why I will either have to buy more of these later or use some more inexpensive ones for areas that are less important or better lit.