Brick Ranch House

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just getting started on my house.I have this NVR on order from AliExpress,
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
I need to start with my front door.Here is a picture and the arrow indicates where I plan to
install a facial recognition cam.The light stays on at night btw.
Will a Wedge Dome Camera be my best choice here?
What would be a good camera in the Dahua line?
IMG_1249 - Copy.JPG

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry little confused where on you planning on putting this camera ? If it's in the light it won't work. Dome cams are really bad at night try a turret camera .

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh and the starlight from dahua is pretty nice I just got 2 myself

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On your house I'd probably start with a couple of dahua starlight turrets mounted to the soffit. Exterior (brick no less) insulated walls in the immediate vicinity of electrical wiring are not the easiest place to install a camera.

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On your house I'd probably start with a couple of dahua starlight turrets mounted to the soffit. Exterior (brick no less) insulated walls in the immediate vicinity of electrical wiring are not the easiest place to install a camera.
It will be easier to install in the soffit.I'm wondering how well that will work since it will be higher than 8 ft.
Will I be able to zoom in via the software to identify a face if need be?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I agree I would install these cameras under the eaves and I would just go with the dahua starlight here Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

It would be a pain in the ass to install a camera on brick and you would need a serious Drill for the job.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I agree I would install these cameras under the eaves and I would just go with the dahua starlight here Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

It would be a pain in the ass to install a camera on brick and you would need a serious Drill for the job.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Zoom in on the bill of a hat and you've still just got the top of a hat. I'd consider mounting at the arrow's height but on the other side of the door and angle the cam across the stairs, over the walk, and into the driveway. Broadens the cam's utility by showing more of the approach to the door and vehicles visiting but has a slight angle disadvantage for really direct face shot.

Soffit mount is easier but too high imho with the stairs basically directly under the cam.

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I totally agree.Before I posted this thread I did lots of searching on this forum on a facial recognition front door cam and decided I didn't have enough info.
I debated drilling hole just under the light(arrow) and placing a wedge dome cam there.I have also debated about using the same location and cam ,but running
emt from the soffit to the camera.I would paint the emt to match the brick(brown?)

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd consider mounting at the arrow's height but on the other side of the door and angle the cam across the stairs, over the walk, and into the driveway.
Good point.I looked into getting some sort of extension bracket to lower a Starlight,but felt that would hurt the homes curb appeal,not to mention allowing someone to reach up and pull it off the soffit.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I was you, once you get the camera your going to mount for the front door I would make several test spots and see what one you like best.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't worry about people vandalizing/stealing cameras a bit more easily on detached houses. If the criminals know they're there and can prepare then guess what? Any twit with a dollar store pair of panty hose and/or spray paint is ID proof. After that if you don't have an alarm it's all up to luck and your insurance company.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Zoom in on the bill of a hat and you've still just got the top of a hat. I'd consider mounting at the arrow's height but on the other side of the door and angle the cam across the stairs, over the walk, and into the driveway. Broadens the cam's utility by showing more of the approach to the door and vehicles visiting but has a slight angle disadvantage for really direct face shot.

Soffit mount is easier but too high imho with the stairs basically directly under the cam.
I agree with you about bald spot cams, but honestly I'd still start with a starlight turret or two in the soffit. It's not the best idea to start a more challenging camera location. Start with a location that's easier, get to know the camera play with different positions ans zoom levels. Then if you still want to put a camera near the porch (and I think it's fairly likely) use what you learned to help it go better.

If the camera's higher if you want a chance of getting a face shot you often need to rethink how it's pointed and zoomed. The closer you get to a higher camera the more acute the angle between the approaching face and camera sensor. So in this case if there were a starlight in the soffit between the windows or closer to the corner on the right, I'd aim/zoom it to try to get a face shot on the path that's parallel to the house. When people are farther from a camera they usually don't actively avoid it as much.

If you do put a camera next to the door you could go lower than the arrow so it might get a decent face shot before they even go up the steps, but that could leave you with headless visitors once they go up the steps.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If mounted properly and securely, it'd be fairly difficult to just grab it and rip it off. Soffit or brick mount.

Get a good rotary hammer drill, the proper masonry bit, and brick isn't that difficult to work with. Here in the US, it's easy to rent what you need for a couple of hours.

(Gee I wish everyone would list their approximate location in their profiles)

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If mounted properly and securely, it'd be fairly difficult to just grab it and rip it off. Soffit or brick mount.

Get a good rotary hammer drill, the proper masonry bit, and brick isn't that difficult to work with. Here in the US, it's easy to rent what you need for a couple of hours.

(Gee I wish everyone would list their approximate location in their profiles)
Thanks for the advice.I actually have a Bosch hammer drill and bits on my service van.I may go that route,but trying to avoid it now.

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just took a measurement and its 7ft 9in from the soffit to the porch.It looks like I'll go with the Starlight.
I may be able to add a junction box or something to the base of the camera to lower it some.I'm thinking maybe trying a temporary
location near the middle window and aimed towards the porch area.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
have you considered installing a camera at the bottom of the doorframe? as people climb those steps they cant help but look down and right into the cam.

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have you considered installing a camera at the bottom of the doorframe? as people climb those steps they cant help but look down and right into the cam.
No I haven't.I'll give it some thought.Thanks