Bricked 2032. Not on network

oguruma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a 2032 from Amazon Version 5.3.0. Tried to upgrade software through the GUI. Never was able to reconnect to the camera. Tried the reset by holding the reset button and re-applying power. The IR lights turn on, so it's getting power, but it cannot be located. I tried the default IP of 192.0.0.64, but nobody home (yes I changed my computers IP to that range).

Anybody have any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2032 from Amazon Version 5.3.0. Tried to upgrade software through the GUI. Never was able to reconnect to the camera. Tried the reset by holding the reset button and re-applying power. The IR lights turn on, so it's getting power, but it cannot be located. I tried the default IP of 192.0.0.64, but nobody home (yes I changed my computers IP to that range).

Anybody have any ideas?
You likely have a china region camera that has been bricked...start reading the posts related to this in the hikvision section..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All they have to do is integrate a few firmware compatibility checks before they run the update routine. Maybe they're doing this on purpose because they are simply nasty mean people bent on vengeance?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and money.. wonder how many dont manage to recover the poor thing?

I bet if I tossed some malware ridden firmware out there I'd get thousands of suckers downloading it a month.. its amazing what people will click on w/out any thought.

they are totally doing this on purpose, Hikvision has been bricking cameras for years w/out giving a fuck.. they've done nothing but ratchet up the layers of bullshit that will brick it w/out protecting anything.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
they are totally doing this on purpose, Hikvision has been bricking cameras for years w/out giving a fuck.. they've done nothing but ratchet up the layers of bullshit that will brick it w/out protecting anything.
Hanlons razor.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity,"

This is a company that continues to be unable to QA a software release, write barely adequate and accurate release notes or come within a vague bulls roar of a data-sheet that isn't a complete fabrication of specification. They continue to fail over the simplest of firmware features and fixes, and their focus is so bent on market segmentation that they fall down at the smallest compatibility hurdle. In who's world do you they are competent enough to be actually doing this stuff on purpose when they can't even get the stuff they *do* do on purpose right? And they are supposed to be one of the top "Chinese" manufacturers.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Longse and Herospeed are acused of stealing other companies intellectual software property.

Hikvision appears to be destroying its customer's property.

Is one worse than the other?

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Hikvision appears to be destroying its customer's property.
See, Hikvision are just doing dumb stuff with firmware. For example, my old man has a 7616NI-SP nvr. When he got it the firmware needed updating (from the genuine channel in Aus). The local distributor gave him an update, he installed it. All good. This update is a custom firmware file Hik did for Aus. It's a 3.1.0 version, but compiled with tweaks over 18 months after the original multi-language 3.1.0 version. In fact the compile dates on that 3.1.0 line up with about 3.4 for the same NVR available on the net. Plenty of warnings not to update, and this is from the *official* Hik channel.

Hikvision have history of pushing out special builds for specific applications. I know of an airport that has about 400 Hik cameras in it (boy do they regret that, but that's another story and the muppet involved fell on his sword). All of those have customized builds that came from the Hik factory. Upgrading those cameras using standard firmware breaks shit. So it's not malice. It's crap software & QA practices. Cheap-arse "yeah we can fix that for you, hang on and i'll send you a firmware" without proper change management, and firmware workarounds for manufacturing balls ups (like oh we sent you 100 cameras that had the wrong model identifier in flash, but don't worry we'll give you an updated firmware for those. Guess what happens when someone updates them with official firmware?).

When you don't have adequate validation of upgrade files, shit will happen. It's not deliberate, it's laziness and ineptitude. Mix that in with cameras arriving from grey market channels with firmware that doesn't match the flash and workaround hacks and it is obvious what will happen.

Plenty of stories of people bricking motherboards over the years by flashing the wrong firmware, are you going to accuse the motherboard manufacturers of deliberately making it possible to brick those as well?

If people voted with their feet and stopped buying shit cameras, the problem would solve itself.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the motherboard manufacturer produced and put on the market model ABC123, and then posted up firmware on there website that was for model ABC123 that was guaranteed to brick basically any motherboard not bought through official distribution channels.. I would consider that malice.

Not much different than what FTDI did when they rolled out a driver update w/Windows that destroyed any grey market USB to Serial chipsets.. didnt just refuse to work saying: grey market device detected, they bricked it.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
If the motherboard manufacturer produced and put on the market model ABC123, and then posted up firmware on there website that was for model ABC123 that was guaranteed to brick basically any motherboard not bought through official distribution channels.. I would consider that malice.
My point was that in general using an identified firmware on an identified camera does not *brick* it, provided the camera has not been hacked. Even if it has been hacked, in most cases the worst thing that happens is the UI reverts to Chinese. The cameras that are getting bricked are cameras that have been modified post-factory to pretend to be something they are not in a manner incompatible with the factory firmware. I also gave examples of Hikvision doing this themselves at the factory level, but these products don't generally hit the retail chain. The bricking process is simply a result of bad software/QA/testing combined with a cheap-arsed attempt at region locking. This is probably a happy co-incidence for Hikvision, but they are not going to put time into their software to perform in all perverse instances of hardware/flash/firmware combinations people manage to put in place to circumvent the region locking, and so lacking adequate error-handling things go to shit. Sometimes recoverably, sometimes not.

I'm not defending them at _all_. Their practice of selling subsidized cameras in China to flood the market is highly anti-competitive and they deserve all the bad press they get about their regional practices. I'm just saying that 90% of the firmware issues people come up with (on this forum at least) are entirely due to post-factory modified grey market products. You could accuse those of modifying the firmware of not putting adequate checks in place to ensure that the camera only accepted similarly modified firmware. You can hardly blame Hikvision for that.

Not much different than what FTDI did when they rolled out a driver update w/Windows that destroyed any grey market USB to Serial chipsets.. didnt just refuse to work saying: grey market device detected, they bricked it.
That was a completely different kettle of fish. FTDI effectively said "if you use our driver with someone elses hardware, we'll make sure it never works again". That was absolutely malicious and there is no other way to interpret it. Having said that, they also recently broke their own hardware on their own driver when they added another bit to the serial number, and that was ineptitude rather than malice.

oguruma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've read all the recovery threads I could fine. The issue is that, even after the reset process (power+reset button for 15 seconds). I still cannot locate the device on the network. Once I can find the camera on the network I should be in business. Is there an alternate recovery method I don't know about?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's another reason I'm recommending Dahua for noobs, although I still recommend Hikvision for ease of use and reliability. It's better noobs get this than Foscam, Annke or Sannce rubbish.

The other issue is noobs don't do enough research and don't know what they are buying. If these stupid amazon affiliate reviewers actually said "don't update the firmware" that would help a lot. People would think "Why?" and find out. So I'll still recommend Hikvision WR regions cameras. It's not worth messing around with grey imported ones anymore.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I still cannot locate the device on the network. Once I can find the camera on the network I should be in business.
You haven't mentioned using SADP to locate the camera.
Provided the camera is not in a boot loop, SADP will find it on your LAN even when the IP address is on another segment, and even if the camera is in the 'recovery mode' with no web services.
SADP 3.x can be found here : http://www.hikvision.com/en/tools_82.html
If it shows the camera as running firmware version 4.0.8 then it's in recovery mode due to applying incompatible firmware.
The solution is to apply compatible firmware, both for language and model.
Hint - SADP works best on a wired, not WiFi, connection.

oguruma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention that SADP does NOT work. Everything has been done over wired connection.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Your next option is to pop the cover and see if you can get a serial console into it. I recovered a couple of 2332s that way.

oguruma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It appears that it's in a boot loop. IR lights are cycling on/off. Something like a 15/30 second interval from what I gather.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
If it is in a boot loop you should be able to tftp firmware to it. I can't recommend which firmware to try however.

oguruma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't find it on the network.... How would I tftp it? SADP doesn't see it, and I can't otherwise locate it by trying to telnet into the common default IP addresses.