Bricked HDCVI (Amcrest/Foscam) 1080p tribrid 4ch NVR

Reaction score
Is there any backdoor ways to fix firmware flashing fails on foscam/amcrest NVR?

I upgraded to the latest firmware today which messed up the picture display on my TV, no matter what resolution I used the NVR display would extend past the extents of the screen. Before this update I didn't have this issue, and they changed how UPnP works, which makes it not work. I realize I could port forward (which I did until I bricked it).

So I went on the waybackmachine and found my previous firmware and uploaded it to the NVR, it rebooted and my camera displays were messed up, some blank, one had 2 large diagonal white lines like a camera was zoomed in on something, and all the menu names were in Chinese. According to the filename this was supposed to be an English version. The contents of the menus were in English though.

So with my camera tamper alarm beeping I began uploading the last firmware I used. It started and before half way through the unit shut off. It will not start anymore.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR is likely a rebranded dahua. You likely loaded the incorrect firmware. I would start with searching for solutions to this issue on dahua NVR's. Have you tried calling amcrest?

Reaction score
This happened a few hours ago, I emailed them but obviously don't expect a reply until monday. The unit is covered under warranty for a year, but if I can fix it myself I'll gladly do it. How would I go about figuring out what Dahua it's a clone of?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This happened a few hours ago, I emailed them but obviously don't expect a reply until monday. The unit is covered under warranty for a year, but if I can fix it myself I'll gladly do it. How would I go about figuring out what Dahua it's a clone of?
likely doesnt matter, the recovery method should be the same.

Reaction score
Thanks, my googling isnt getting me anywhere currently lol. Lots of old posts. The NVR doesn't respond to ping when it's turned on. There is no serial port on the back, essentially the only connectivity it has is USB and RJ45. All other ports are either BNC/audio in, or other related or outputs.

Reaction score
So I've pieced together what I did.. This one is definitely a Dahua clone, mine is a HCVR5x08-S2. I loaded HCVR5x08-V2 firmware. Not exactly sure the difference between the two just yet.