WTB Bricked Hikvision R0 series (DS-2CD2xx2) IP camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My spare Hikvision cameras are out on loan, and I'd like to experiment with a particular aspect of the firmware.
There was only one on eBay, and my bid didn't win.
A UK or EU source would be preferred.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I've 2 DS-2CD2632F-IS
The 2 are Chinese regions.
One is always with 5.2.5 with hacked firmware i suppose.
The second was bricked when trying to upgrade to 5.4.0...
Returned to seller in China. Came back with firmware 5.4.0 (always hacked firmware because i've the French Language ).
Just for info when this camera was bricked, it was unfoundable by tftp server too.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.
It sounds like your seller was helpful.
Just for info when this camera was bricked, it was unfoundable by tftp server too.
That's when the next step is when the serial console needs to be used. It's not difficult after you've done it a few times.
Another possibility, when the web GUI no longer works due to 'language mismatch' is to do an ONVIF firmware update via ONVIF Device Manager.

I've now had several opportunities to explore 'bricked' R0 cameras, and in all cases they have been able to be recovered, and run the latest 5.4.5 firmware.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re,

I've asked the seller per mail what they've done to recover it. It say's me that was his technician who recover it.
I asked him to send me a tutorial how to update the second camera .... not possible regarding the seller to do it myself.
At moment the 2 cameras are running with différents firmwares . But for me it's impossible for trying to upgrade to last version ... due to my bad knowledge for that.
Do you think it will be possible one day to ugrade them to last firmware without dammages ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think it will be possible one day to ugrade them to last firmware without dammages ?
Yes, with modified firmware that would be possible.
This will be what the seller did to the CN cameras to provide other languages.
But there is always some risk that modified firmware may not work on all cameras.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This will be what the seller did to the CN cameras to provide other languages.
I think too . I hope that will be possible in a near future because for one running with 5.2.5 i cannot use gmail account to receive notification with TLS.

For me, i can have a camera with english version . Are the Chinese firmwares only in Chinese ? Or perhaps English too ?
For the camera blocked , i've tried to restore to original Chinese firmware like written in the box. But this was not working too. Perahps because the hacked firmware installed is blocking to return to an original camera ....

boernd

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you still looking for bricked cams?
I have a DS-2CD2232-I5 which was delivered with 5.2.5.
Yesterday I tried to update it to the 5.4.5 firmware and now it is not booting.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply.
Are you still looking for bricked cams?
Yes, I am.
I'm checking eBay pretty regularly for 'Hikvision not working / parts' or similar, looking for 'bricked' cameras people have given up on.
I did buy a 2332 that was being sold for spares as it had simply stopped working - but it was a LAN cable fault that I managed to fix.

On your camera - did you go direct from 5.2.5 to 5.4.5 ? If so, according to the Hikvision change log, that can cause problems.
Easy enough to do, and worth trying if you haven't already done so, is the Hikvision tftp updater with the '5.2.5 downgrader' firmware from here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
Use the first link, not the 4-line version. Usage instructions are included.

binh25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you can have my Bricked Cam to play.
I am in Australia

Tried the TFP method stuck after uploading the file, I gave up after 30 minutes waiting and
the 2 red light stay on permanently now when I turn it on.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
you can have my Bricked Cam to play.
I am in Australia
Wow! That's almost as far as it can be away from Scotland.
If you were a bit closer I'd say yes, let's go for it, but shipping costs maybe make that a less than sensible idea.
On the other hand ...

binh25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow! That's almost as far as it can be away from Scotland.
If you were a bit closer I'd say yes, let's go for it, but shipping costs maybe make that a less than sensible idea.
On the other hand ...
ok I keep it in the junk bin, and if you ever visit down under I come out and hand it over in person :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'd certainly be interested in trying to find out why those upgrade steps bricked it.
I'd be happy to pay the postal costs - what would you accept as an offer for your 'junk'?

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

Regarding my two Chinese cameras, regarding seller, it's not possible to update them anymore and not to last firmware ...

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes , perahps he don't want to help me anymore. One is running with modified 5.2.5 and the second with modified 5.4.0 (camera returned to seller due to camera bricked).
I don't know why he don't want to help me to at minimum to upgrade the first to 5.4.0....
That means that they certainly are able to do modified 5.4.5 firmware too .
What do you think about this ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That means that they certainly are able to do modified 5.4.5 firmware too .
I have done modified 5.4.5 R0 firmware (I don't have any R6 cameras to test with) that operates as full EN/ML on CN region cameras, that seems to work well on the 4 or 5 cameras I've tested it on.
But I don't know if it works will all manufacture dates of R0 cameras where the hardware may vary a bit.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know where I can check the manufacture date ?
I would like to update those two cameras one day .... I'm in France

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

Before CCCH I have :

First camera :
Firmware 5.2.5 built 141201
Encoding version : V5.0 built 140714

For the second :
Firmware 5.4.0 built 160530
Encoding version V5.0 built 150708