Bringing cables from attic to garage POE switch

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I haven't had any problems with the POE switch in the attic, it get really hot in Oklahoma, so I am moving it to the garage. I currently have one camera in the garage and used a keystone jack mounted to the ceiling. This is the general location I want to move the POE switch and will require bringing 3 more Cat5e cables through the ceiling. I am thinking I would add 3 more keystone jacks and buy a 4 port wall plate. Is there any issue with mounting this in the ceiling and have the Cat5e cables hanging down going to switch on a shelf in garage? I assume the RJ45 tab on the connector would hold it secure? Would I be better just running the cables through a hole in the ceiling and directly to the switch and eliminate additional connectors? I can think of any clean way to run them without the keystone jacks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That will work just fine.
Or you could run a 2" diameter piece of PVC conduit from your shelf into the ceiling, and bring your cables down through it.
I did this in a client's house; there were 6 cables as I recall and I ran 1-1/2" PVC almost a foot above the sheetrock ceiling to get it above the blown-in insulation, down the wall, secured with conduit clamps, plugged both ends with G-B Duct Seal.