Bugs tripping up camera motion

jcummins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well my IP system is functional. First oddity I've found, bugs tripping motion. Now summer, expect that, but at 18 degrees outside??? What the heck is flying out there.

I have not checked yet if this is possible but perhaps the sensitivity of detection I should turn down.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the camera brand and model, and the firmware version, with Hikvision and Dahua you have the Smart Events of Intrusion Detection and Line Crossing detection to tune in addition to the original Motion Detection in order to reduce the incidence of unwanted alerts.
The intrusion detection analytic has a loiter time that can be helpful for ignoring insects that fly past.
Here in Scotland it's now (a mild and wet) Winter, so the bug and spider overnight alerts have almost stopped, thankfully.

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@jcummins - Close to the lens, bright IR.. anything will appear very bright and large enough to trip up your motion detection. Bugs, dust particles, water droplets like mist/fog. In the cold, tiny snowflakes as well.

Adjustments like alastair has suggested, secondary lighting, or using external IR is a solution. The biggest problem is the fact that your IR source is right AT the lens.

Just wait til your first snow flurry activity.... the thing won't stop recording :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jcummins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found a sensitivity settings on the motion alert. I mistakenly set it higher, and recordings increase. I've now set it near the lowest setting, and think that will cure a lot of the issues. Still surprise at things flying around at these temperatures.