Build & design advice please - for joint neighbourhood Licence Plate camera installation

Jolyon39

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, some help would be appreciated for a neighbourhood meeting next week.

Background

I live in a semi rural area on a 3.5km long loop road so there is only one point of entry and exit. Across the road from the entry is a small private trotting club and we can potentially instal a tower or a camera on a building there. The entry is also a railway crossing so all cars have to stop and look before they carry on (except burglars I guess)

Concept

One or two cameras plus a flooded or two, one pointing at the crossing (stationary cars are easy to capture) and one pointing into the street (picks up cars driving in and out of the area)

Posibly a flooded to support each camera

What housings to protect the cameras?

What NVR? (I like Dahua) (No fibre optic for internet connection so it is slow)

Wwhat extras do you recommend?

Location can be seen on Google Earth

If you google earth the intersection of Waitakere Road, Boord Crescent and trotting Course Drive in New Zealand you will see what I mean. Waitakere road is the main road and Boord Crescent is the 3.5Km loop road, Trotting Course Drive is really a gravel access way for thre properties and the trotting club.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have power and line of sight to a building with Internet (or a NVR), you can do a point to point wifi radio like a Uniquiti Nanobeam and support the cameras that way. Most cameras rated for outdoor use (IP67, etc.) and shouldn't need a housing.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
LPR, license plate recognition, is an art. Keep in mind that at night to reliably get plates the video will be a black frame with just the head/tail lights and license plate being visible. It takes a lot of light to get reliable plate captures at night if you want color. Have a look at these threads. They will give you some good guidance. A dedicated, encrypted, RF link will easily handle four cameras and maybe up to eight or ten, depending on resolution and bit rates. Ubiquity has a good line of them, but availability can be a problem due to chip shortages.

LPR