Building a B.I, dedicated Intel i-9 system.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m writing seeking advice from this excellent forum. First of all, thank you for being so helping set up my IP security system. Also, for draining my bank account (#32 cameras, and still growing).

As mentioned, yes, I have 32 cameras. This caused my present system to bog down. My rate now is 1500PM/s. The system is, Dell XPS 8930, i7-8700 @ 3.20 GZ. Memory is 32. GB It’s a dedicated system for Blue Iris. No other software been added.

Was contemplating splitting up the set up with 2 refurbished i-7 systems. But thought maybe would be better just building an intel i-9 system dedicated only to Blue Iris.

When researching how to build a new system, I quickly became overwhelmed at all the new technology. So much info out there. Hard to sort it all out. I don’t know where to begin. Any help is appreciated. Been 15 years since building my last computer. So much has changed,

Just a few questions.

Is the intel i-9 processor that much better? Which one and whom to buy it from. Many negative reviews on amazon about shady sellers ripping off customers.

Motherboard? -what the advantage from one to another. Again, only using if for blue Iris. Would like to have 2 high speed Ethernet connections. My preference is for a Asus, in an ATX format

Memory, this was a new one for me. Not talking ram, but DDR. I guess there is memory that you have to add to your motherboard. Still not 100% sure what it does. Members stating Samsung is the best.

Processor Liquid Water cooler. Is this worth it? If so, which one would you recommend?

Case, would like a full case. Even thinking of going full ghetto RGB, why not, any recommendation.

Lastly, I have window’s 10 system on an unused hard drive. Would it boot up to a new system, or do I have bought a new addition.

Graphic card. Guess I need only the minimum, nothing fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks again, everybody been such great help.

DRZmaui

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd go for another i7-8700 and put the extra money saved towards a holiday to Australia :) This gives you some redundancy and halves the processor load. 32 cams! You must have some place to protect!

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, get very obsessed when I put my mind to something. BTW, just ended my trip early from Asia. Corona Virus making thing a bit too real. Have some time on my hands.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A quick search online shows there is a BIOS update you can do to the XPS 8930 that supports the i9-9900K. Then you could just buy the chip and swap it in, reusing everything else (motherboard, memory etc.)

But, your comment about not knowing what ram/DDR/memory is for, is kind of troubling and tells me you are in over your head. Maybe you are confusing memory and an SSD?

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A quick search online shows there is a BIOS update you can do to the XPS 8930 that supports the i9-9900K. Then you could just buy the chip and swap it in, reusing everything else (motherboard, memory etc.)

But, your comment about not knowing what ram/DDR/memory is for, is kind of troubling and tells me you are in over your head. Maybe you are confusing memory and an SSD?
Yea, that was a new one to me, On the old motherboards, all you need to do was the CPU and Ram memory (now called DDR) , Now there is SSD with heat sink for the motherboard.
I'm going to keep my i7 for my daily use and gaming,

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nothing has changed, you still need a storage drive for the operating system and programs. The choice used to be only a HDD (or other hardware we won't get into). Now you can choose HDD or SSD (SSD is faster).

Also not many SSDs have a heat sink, just some higher end motherboards sometimes provide an optional heat sink to keep the SSD cool.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Going beyond 1500 MP/s I would recommend an "HEDT" CPU with quad channel memory support. That is going to be very pricey, at least $2000 to $3000 for a new build (higher if you can't build it yourself).

Cheaper alternatives would be buying a second non-HEDT computer to split the load, or further optimizing the configuration of your current computer to lower its resource usage. This would be mainly achieved by using Blue Iris's "Limit decoding unless required" feature on many of the cameras. You can pick and choose less-important cameras to enable this on. Basically what it does is tell Blue Iris to do only the minimum required amount of video processing for the camera. This makes the camera consume almost no resources. If you turned it on for all of the cameras, your CPU usage would probably be under 10%, and you would have no trouble fitting 64 cameras into the system. This feature is a tradeoff of course. You should read about the downsides in Blue Iris's help file and also near the bottom of this page: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going beyond 1500 MP/s I would recommend an "HEDT" CPU with quad channel memory support. That is going to be very pricey, at least $2000 to $3000 for a new build (higher if you can't build it yourself).

Cheaper alternatives would be buying a second non-HEDT computer to split the load, or further optimizing the configuration of your current computer to lower its resource usage. This would be mainly achieved by using Blue Iris's "Limit decoding unless required" feature on many of the cameras. You can pick and choose less-important cameras to enable this on. Basically what it does is tell Blue Iris to do only the minimum required amount of video processing for the camera. This makes the camera consume almost no resources. If you turned it on for all of the cameras, your CPU usage would probably be under 10%, and you would have no trouble fitting 64 cameras into the system. This feature is a tradeoff of course. You should read about the downsides in Blue Iris's help file and also near the bottom of this page: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage
I agree on the second system, Been researching building a i-9 system. Getting $$$. So many choice with building a new system. Also, many possible pitfall and costly mistakes.

Mayhym

n3wb
Reaction score
When researching how to build a new system, I quickly became overwhelmed at all the new technology. So much info out there. Hard to sort it all out. I don’t know where to begin. Any help is appreciated. Been 15 years since building my last computer. So much has changed,

Just a few questions.

Is the intel i-9 processor that much better? Which one and whom to buy it from. Many negative reviews on amazon about shady sellers ripping off customers.

Choose your processor make sure you have sort by compatibility checked and have fun.

Motherboard? -what the advantage from one to another. Again, only using if for blue Iris. Would like to have 2 high speed Ethernet connections. My preference is for a Asus, in an ATX format
Asus is good, so is MSI. Figure out what features you want and go the the manufacturers website and compare motherboards to make your decision.

Memory, this was a new one for me. Not talking ram, but DDR. I guess there is memory that you have to add to your motherboard. Still not 100% sure what it does. Members stating Samsung is the best.
Ram is ram. The clock speeds and timings don't make much of a difference but using dual channel, two chips in the right slots, will make a difference. Your motherboard is only compatible with certain types of ram so use pcpartpicker and it will help sort through most of it.

Processor Liquid Water cooler. Is this worth it? If so, which one would you recommend?
Just use an air cooler as they are more reliable. The only reason you need a liquid cooler is for overclocking.

Case, would like a full case. Even thinking of going full ghetto RGB, why not, any recommendation.
You can but RGB doubles the cables that need to be connected and is a PIA. So if you really want it have fun but RGB connections aren't yet standardized so you have 3 pins 4pins addressable and non addressable. It's cool once it is done but it adds another level of complexity for astetics

Lastly, I have window’s 10 system on an unused hard drive. Would it boot up to a new system, or do I have bought a new addition.
It may windows 10 license is tied to the motherboard so you may have to call Microsoft to get it reactivated.

Graphic card. Guess I need only the minimum, nothing fancy. Any recommendations?
You shouldn't need one considering the Intel chip has integrated graphics.

Hard drives. HDD is the regular hard drives you are probably used to. SSD is basically a larger USB drive, it is faster but can't take as much use as a traditional HDD. NVME drives are the same as an SSD but with a different connection. A NVME drive is x4 faster than an SSD and costs about $0.07/gb more than a SSD. I use an NVME for Windows 10 and software because the bootspeed is worth the money which isn't much. You really don't need much more than a 128gb NVME for Windows and BI. HDD for storage of footage.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Avoid liquid CPU cooling. It's a fad for all but the leading overclockers and custom cooling builders. Tests by leading Youtube channels found that good air coolers outperform most All in One Coolers. Water cooling pumps are less reliable than good old air fans, and water cooling loops have to be cleaned entirely every year or so which means draining and disassembling the system and replacing the fluids after physical cleaning and flushing of everything, blocks, pipes, pumps etc. Eventually they all leak and then you have water over all your expensive electronic bits. It usually doesn't end well! Many AIl In Ones seem to leak after 3-5 years. Can't comment on Custom Builds, but you put water in and eventually you get water out!!!!!

There are plenty of good air coolers out there. One of the best, although you will need a large case is the Noctua DH-15, and it's now available in black chrome with black fans if you don't like beige! Whether you need custom air cooling will depend on the load and cpu although I do know a lot of the high end Intel reportedly run hot.

As for SSD's, I believe you are confusing SSD's and Generation 4 NVME drives. The latter (NVME) run hot and need heatsinks. The former (SSD) are cheaper and need no cooling. Go for the SSD for your Windows / BI Drive. For your footage, your best option is a Traditional Hard Drive or array of hard drives using surveillance rated drives. SSD's are only just starting to become available in surveillance rated drives and are both small capacity and expensive atm. For large amounts of storage, traditional surveillance rated hard drives are still hard to beat.

Something like this represents one of the fastest and most reliable SSD's for your OS / BI: Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76E1T0B/EU)

Believe me, you won't notice the difference between that for your application and an NVME drive except on your wallet, and Gen4 NVME's can throttle to slower than SSD speeds if they get too hot. You're only booting Windows and BI to the memory from it after all.

Something like this, or seagate's equivalent will make a good footage write drive: WD 10TB Purple Surveillance Internal CCTV Hard Drive (WD101PURZ)

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Avoid liquid CPU cooling. It's a fad for all but the leading overclockers and custom cooling builders. Tests by leading Youtube channels found that good air coolers outperform most All in One Coolers. Water cooling pumps are less reliable than good old air fans, and water cooling loops have to be cleaned entirely every year or so which means draining and disassembling the system and replacing the fluids after physical cleaning and flushing of everything, blocks, pipes, pumps etc. Eventually they all leak and then you have water over all your expensive electronic bits. It usually doesn't end well! Many AIl In Ones seem to leak after 3-5 years. Can't comment on Custom Builds, but you put water in and eventually you get water out!!!!!

There are plenty of good air coolers out there. One of the best, although you will need a large case is the Noctua DH-15, and it's now available in black chrome with black fans if you don't like beige! Whether you need custom air cooling will depend on the load and cpu although I do know a lot of the high end Intel reportedly run hot.

As for SSD's, I believe you are confusing SSD's and Generation 4 NVME drives. The latter (NVME) run hot and need heatsinks. The former (SSD) are cheaper and need no cooling. Go for the SSD for your Windows / BI Drive. For your footage, your best option is a Traditional Hard Drive or array of hard drives using surveillance rated drives. SSD's are only just starting to become available in surveillance rated drives and are both small capacity and expensive atm. For large amounts of storage, traditional surveillance rated hard drives are still hard to beat.

Something like this represents one of the fastest and most reliable SSD's for your OS / BI: Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76E1T0B/EU)

Believe me, you won't notice the difference between that for your application and an NVME drive except on your wallet, and Gen4 NVME's can throttle to slower than SSD speeds if they get too hot. You're only booting Windows and BI to the memory from it after all.

Something like this, or seagate's equivalent will make a good footage write drive: WD 10TB Purple Surveillance Internal CCTV Hard Drive (WD101PURZ)

Thanks for sharing. Don't think I'm quite read to jumping onto building a i-9 system. Was starting to get very expensive. Most likely will do later down the road. Till then, bought myself a used i-7 -8700. This will be a second system to assist with my heavy load.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say stick with the same principles and you'll be fine. Avoid water cooling, NVME and use surveillance rated Hard Drives for storage. As for cooler, I believe the i7-8700 runs hot. However, air coolers are not huge investments so provided you have a large enough case, no reason not to stick a large cooler on there. If case size is an issue, there are cheap cases out there with decent airflow. Suggest you look to internet reviews and respected hardware testers reviews / tests eg Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Jayz2cents, Linus Tech Tips etc.