Building a BI system that will need to support 12 4MP Dahua's. 9900K vs. 13600K vs. 5900x

Magbarn

n3wb
Reaction score
Cousin runs a computer store and is offering some discounts. 9900K (New Old stock) for $250, 13600K for $300, and 5900x for $300. All will be run with DDR4 3600 ram. z390 for the 9900K, z690 for the 13600K, and B550 for the AMD. I have an old GT730 to use with the AMD so not much CUDA there. Which CPU should I use?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Building new is not worth it. Blue Iris does not need the cutting edge anymore ever since it started supporting sub streams.

If you want to donate your money to your cousin's company though, feel free. The 13600K will be the best performer of the listed models by a wide margin.

Magbarn

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been looking into this substream thing. Can I record the high quality mainstreams the whole time while using the substream to process for triggers without crippling one of those used SFF machines?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been looking into this substream thing. Can I record the high quality mainstreams the whole time while using the substream to process for triggers without crippling one of those used SFF machines?
Yes you can. It is the processing of the triggers that is CPU consuming.

Magbarn

n3wb
Reaction score
One more question, I'm seriously looking into that SFF machine now. I noticed it has only a SSD, so I'll need to get a purple regular HDD and just use the SSD for the OS right? I don't think the SSD will last long if I use that to record clips.

Reaction score
You ask questions that are answered already in the Blue Iris hardware Wiki. Though it's getting a tad older now, it still holds water. Best take a look at it to ensure you have an idea of what to get/what is not needed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
One more question, I'm seriously looking into that SFF machine now. I noticed it has only a SSD, so I'll need to get a purple regular HDD and just use the SSD for the OS right? I don't think the SSD will last long if I use that to record clips.
Right,,,,,seperate drive to write video to.....SSD is OS....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The new SSD's even more so the larger ones the large ones have a long lifespan. For example a 1tb samsung 980 pro is rated at 600TB written and is very likely to exceed that number. Even if you write 10TB a month (which is abnormally high) it would last over 5 years. Most likely you can get 10+ years out of it.