Building Blueiris/workstation pc

wh@tever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
about 6 months ago i built an i7 8700k with 32gb of ram. it has a rtx 2080 ti as the 3d processing gpu and i use a gtx 1080ti to decode the cameras for bluiris. i have 6 65inch 4k monitors hooked up to the pc. i do alot of cpu intensive work on my computer and currently have profiles set on blueiris to disable cameras when i need the cpu. i would like to continue using blueiris on my workstation pc. i am currently thinking about upgrading the pc again. im running 1400mp/s about 10MB/s worth of 6mp and 4mp cameras. im about to upgrade my cameras and will be pulling around 2000mp/s from the cameras and am going to need more cpu. i have been looking at the i9-9980xe in hopes it will have the processing power i need. will going from the i7 8700k to the i9 9980xe have a huge impact cpu usage of blueiris. i also need the pcie lanes of a xe processor to run 2 rtx2080ti's and the gtx1080ti with 18hdds and other expansion cards. also all of my monitors are 4k i have the runs the blueiris console monitor at 1080p at 175% scaling to keep the cpu under 90 percent

wh@tever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm worried because alot of the benchmark results I see probably either have Windows scaling enabled or are not viewing the console on a 4kmonitor. I mean even in 1080p I have to use 175% scaling to keep the cpu below 90. I don't want to spend 2k on a processor only to go from 60 percent cpu to 40 percent cpu. But going from 60 to 15% is another story

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm worried because alot of the benchmark results I see probably either have Windows scaling enabled or are not viewing the console on a 4kmonitor. I mean even in 1080p I have to use 175% scaling to keep the cpu below 90. I don't want to spend 2k on a processor only to go from 60 percent cpu to 40 percent cpu. But going from 60 to 15% is another story
A smarter way to spend your money is on a vms that doesnt require this much cpu power...see network optix/digital watchdog 70 dollars per camera.

wh@tever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I still not sure exactly what a vms is exactly. I think of virtual machine please excuse my knowledge I've heard of it alot and I went to that link fenderman gave me but I'm still not quite sure what it is

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
o_O You build a system with those specs, use 6 x 65inch 4K monitors, with the latest GFX cards, and use the system alot for CPU intensive work, but don't know what a VMS is????

I don't get it, sorry :D

You could at least use more ram in that system.

edit: Better go dual Xeon with lots of ram, and use that for your intensive CPU work.. Then dedicate blue iris to its own system, or just build a VMS server. If you turn off the camera's when you need the processing power, you just kill the purpose of a cctv security system.

wh@tever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just don't understand how I would benifit from it. From what i read its only officially a 32bit architecture while the 64bit is still under development.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just don't understand how I would benifit from it. From what i read its only officially a 32bit architecture while the 64bit is still under development.
VMS is video management software. Blue iris is a consumer/small business grade vms with lots of great features. Your load is insane and would benefit from a commercial enterprise product like the one described.

wh@tever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay thankyou for clarifying that. So do these other vms's use alot less resources. I'm grown into blueiris and I think it would be hard to let go lol. But then again I've never really use anything other than blueiris or ispy

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay thankyou for clarifying that. So do these other vms's use alot less resources. I'm grown into blueiris and I think it would be hard to let go lol. But then again I've never really use anything other than blueiris or ispy
Yes they use less resources. Demo it.

SAVideoman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Digital Watchdog Spectrum is a pretty slick VMS. I saw a product demo of it at an expo last year. They have a per camera licence fee which is reasonable considering what you're about to spend on your PC. It also has a lot of pro features that BI does not have. I believe you can download the software from this page and try it out with certain limitations. There's also a lot of videos on YouTube you can check out. You can buy the camera licences from BHPhoto.com or from a dealer.
Here's the link for the software:
DW Spectrum IPVMS

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Digital Watchdog Spectrum is a pretty slick VMS. I saw a product demo of it at an expo last year. They have a per camera licence fee which is reasonable considering what you're about to spend on your PC. It also has a lot of pro features that BI does not have. I believe you can download the software from this page and try it out with certain limitations. There's also a lot of videos on YouTube you can check out. You can buy the camera licences from BHPhoto.com or from a dealer.
Here's the link for the software:
DW Spectrum IPVMS
Also note that DW/network optix it is the only vms that provides free version upgrades for life. At 70 dollars per camera that is a bargain. To be fair, blue iris has many features not available in DW. For OP's needs, DW is the smart choice.