Building my first IP Camera system

tyson

n3wb
Reaction score
hello, I have been researching my first build and i finally came across this forum. i was getting frustrated a a lack on information and websites to sell equipment. I am looking to have 4 bullet cameras around the outside of my ranch house, and i was looking a turret camera for the front porch, and a couple of cameras for inside the entry doors. i was going to run a software like blue iris for the NVR. I have been reading on here about the different cameras and reviews which is great and i can figure out what will work best for me, but what i haven't been able to clearly find by searching is where to buy these cameras. i have read about the Chinese revisions and the american versions, where is the best place to purchase these cameras? i saw some posts about Nellys security, but i cannot get the web page to open. i like to look and browse online to see prices and specs, can someone point me into the right direction.
thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Tyson,

Please feel free to check out the notes I made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Lots to learn, and I am still learning.

If you decide to purchase from China, a number of us have enjoyed purchasing from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY who participates in the forum.

Thank You

tyson

n3wb
Reaction score
mat200 thanks i was looking at your posting before i posted. so i finally got to nellys security online site, i guess it was just down. I know everyone talks about him selling the hikvision cameras but on the site they looked like they were not branded and the model numbers were different. does anyone know if his cameras are back by the hikvision usa?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200 thanks i was looking at your posting before i posted. so i finally got to nellys security online site, i guess it was just down. I know everyone talks about him selling the hikvision cameras but on the site they looked like they were not branded and the model numbers were different. does anyone know if his cameras are back by the hikvision usa?
Hi Tyson,

The models you see sold by the Chinese based vendors are typically international models ( or even Chinese market models ), and support for them would be more limited depending on the vendor who sold you the unit. Andy has been good with many of us helping us with replacements if the unit is DOA.

If you want a US model with support from Hikvision USA you will need to purchase from a USA vendor - or look for brands which use Hikvision as their OEM.

Have fun setting you system up.

tyson

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Tyson,

The models you see sold by the Chinese based vendors are typically international models ( or even Chinese market models ), and support for them would be more limited depending on the vendor who sold you the unit. Andy has been good with many of us helping us with replacements if the unit is DOA.

If you want a US model with support from Hikvision USA you will need to purchase from a USA vendor - or look for brands which use Hikvision as their OEM.

Have fun setting you system up.
Thanks, that is what i have found on my research, that is why i was curious of which version is sold from nelly security. I was also reading about the firmware updates from the Chinese versions, have you had any issues with firmware?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, that is what i have found on my research, that is why i was curious of which version is sold from nelly security. I was also reading about the firmware updates from the Chinese versions, have you had any issues with firmware?
Hi Tyson,

I have only purchased the international versions so far.

Thank You

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you had any issues at all with them? i cannot decide if i want to risk it or not.
Not yet, I've only had it up for a month now, best to ask others here as I am a new user. Do note that my system is currently isolated and not connected to the internet.

I am happy with it so far.. far better than the other options I have tried.