Building surveillance system, asking for camera/BI recommendations.

chochy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building a new surveillance system for my home. I work in I.T. so cabling and building a PC for Blue Iris won't be an issue. I'm overwhelmed with the option of cameras though. I'm planning on installing 6 cameras. 4 would be outside. The cameras would mount to the soffit and ran though my attic. They wouuld cover the driveway, front door, rear slider and backyard. Two cameras would be in my basement and garage. I'd like to keep each camera cost to $100 or less. I think turrent cams would work best? I'm looking at Hikvision or Dahua. Dahua seems to be more expensive though.

Could someone give me a recommendation for 4 outside cameras and 2 inside cameras?

Blue Iris Build
Intel i5 4570
8GB RAM
OS: I have access to Windows 7,10, Server 2012R2, which works best with BI?
256 SSD for operating system.
4 TB Western Digital Purple

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If brought through Ali Express Dahua should be a cheaper option than Hikvision.

But both are quality products, Hikvision turrets are better than the Dahua's version but again there's not much in it.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If brought through Ali Express Dahua should be a cheaper option than Hikvision.

But both are quality products, Hikvision turrets are better than the Dahua's version but again there's not much in it.
Not sure what you are basing this on?

Most people here would recommend the Dahua starlight turret, although it is more than $100 per, more like $150-160 per camera.
model is IPC-HDW5231R-Z

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mounting to your soffits will get you iffy results. Mounted more than 8ft off the ground, and you will mainly see tops of heads. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Use this keeping PPF> 100 Camera Calculator / Design Software

Best cams going today is the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z @randytsuch mentioned.

See this: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

BI build, at least a I5-6700. Cheaper to buy a complete Optiplex or HP Elitedesk from Ebay.
Win10 Pro is the OS of choice.