Built in mics

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With cameras that have built in mics is it possible to listen without recording the audio? PA has very strict wiretap laws and i don't want to risk it.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
JFire,
Since you posted in the Dahua section, I assume you have a Dahua NVR. If so, I believe the answer to your question is "No" At least, not that I know of.

upload_2017-3-12_16-7-55.png

Once the audio is part of the Main Stream, both audio and video are recorded to the hard drive.

Fastb

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
JFire,
Since you posted in the Dahua section, I assume you have a Dahua NVR. If so, I believe the answer to your question is "No" At least, not that I know of.

View attachment 16154

Once the audio is part of the Main Stream, both audio and video are recorded to the hard drive.

Fastb
Ok thanks. Yes i have dahua equipment. Guess mic cameras are a no go. Since its tax return time its ordering time.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to the camera section of settings then Audio.

I think you're worrying too much, a simple sign should have you covered in most cases and you can always strip the audio before handing footage over or posting online. Odds of cops seizing the hard drive straight from your nvr aren't that high

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Yes i have dahua equipment. Guess mic cameras are a no go. Since its tax return time its ordering time.

Simply disable the audio so it won't record it..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
JFire,

I stand corrected. It is possible to listen to audio, and not have it recorded.
I just followed the above guidance. It works.
Fastb

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go to the camera section of settings then Audio.

I think you're worrying too much, a simple sign should have you covered in most cases and you can always strip the audio before handing footage over or posting online. Odds of cops seizing the hard drive straight from your nvr aren't that high
No im not. I have a hole neighbors that have already called the cops concerning my cameras and he told them that as long as im not recording audio i can have as many cameras i want. I know PA has goofy wiretap laws and even conversations in public aren't necessarily recordable without consent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want audio to listen just not record. Disabling audio makes buying cameras with mics pointless.

Just because a camera also has a mic that you dont use doesnt mean you should not consider it....some great cams come with a mic..