Bullet cam DS2CD2T42WD-I5 vs Turret cam DS-2CD2342WD-I

ANILE8

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on some new cams and I am considering these two models which are the Hikvision bullet cam DS2CD2T42WD-I5 vs turret cam DS-2CD2342WD-I for external applications around my house, both in 4mm.

The specs look to be fairly similar but the IR might possibly be better on the bullet model as it claims 50m vs 30m on the turret. Is this really noticeable in the real world or would you not expect much difference in their IR reach and area illumination spread? Price wise they are almost the same so it would just come down to performance both in daylight and night-time.

Does anyone have any experience on which might give the better low light image with IR on and any other details that might push you one way or the other?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on some new cams and I am considering these two models which are the Hikvision bullet cam DS2CD2T42WD-I5 vs turret cam DS-2CD2342WD-I for external applications around my house, both in 4mm.

The specs look to be fairly similar but the IR might possibly be better on the bullet model as it claims 50m vs 30m on the turret. Is this really noticeable in the real world or would you not expect much difference in their IR reach and area illumination spread? Price wise they are almost the same so it would just come down to performance both in daylight and night-time.

Does anyone have any experience on which might give the better low light image with IR on and any other details that might push you one way or the other?
Hikvision has an exir turret that has awesome IR, turret is a nicer looking form factor and easier to adjust. Also any cams with the little it bulbs in a circle around the lens don't work as good as ones where it's one separate piece.

ANILE8

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I know, both the models I listed in this thread are EXIR.

However, I am asking how much better is the IR in the DS2CD2T42WD-I5 bullet cam?

Please don't say 20m better ;)

Hik claim 50m for the I5 version of the EXIR bullet vs 30m on the EXIR turret but is this really noticeable in reality?

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I know, both the models I listed in this thread are EXIR.

However, I am asking how much better is the IR in the DS2CD2T42WD-I5 bullet cam?

Please don't say 20m better ;)

Hik claim 50m for the I5 version of the EXIR bullet vs 30m on the EXIR turret but is this really noticeable in reality?

never used them so couldn't tell you, you can't always go off of specs unfortunately, you'd really have to get the two cameras and test them side by side lol. Also think about what you care about, 2-3mp isn't going to give you a real good face shot of someone very far away so do you really care if stuff at that distance is lit well, I dunno.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an i8 model, it BLOWS the EXIR out of the water. It has 4 huge LEDs that all focus on different distances. The i5 has two large LEDs, it is also better as far as light emitting.

ANILE8

n3wb
Reaction score
never used them so couldn't tell you, you can't always go off of specs unfortunately, you'd really have to get the two cameras and test them side by side lol. Also think about what you care about, 2-3mp isn't going to give you a real good face shot of someone very far away so do you really care if stuff at that distance is lit well, I dunno.
FWIW both are 4MP models as mentioned in my OP

ANILE8

n3wb
Reaction score
Great, it looks like I will be going for the i5 model as I need a 4mm lens and the i8 only comes in 6,12 and 16mm versions.

Good to hear your feedback on the EXIR 2.0 being a significant step forward for low light applications.
I have an i8 model, it BLOWS the EXIR out of the water. It has 4 huge LEDs that all focus on different distances. The i5 has two large LEDs, it is also better as far as light emitting.