Bullet vs. Turret - When to use each

joshme

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new here and trying to find the right outdoor wireless IP cameras to set up around a small group of townhomes with a shared driveway, as well as inside a commercial kitchen. I've noticed a lot of folks recommending turrets and others recommending bullets or mini-bullets on these forums, but I have no clue what differences there are.

When should I use a bullet, mini-bullet, or turret camera? Also, how do I know what size lens to use?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Bullets and Turrets have its distinct qualities. The bullets help in deterrence whereas the turrets are more aesthetically pleasing and generally well-regarded for better-low light performance. Also, spider-webs and insects are not prevalent on turrets, and requires very little maintenance (in terms of keeping them clean). And if you're going with Dahua, you'll come across considerable better quality (all metal housing and tamper-proof), compared to Hikvision which uses a plastic base on its turrets.
I would recommend getting both Bullet and Turret. Stay away from domes. :)

I'm new here and trying to find the right outdoor wireless IP cameras to set up around a small group of townhomes with a shared driveway, as well as inside a commercial kitchen. I've noticed a lot of folks recommending turrets and others recommending bullets or mini-bullets on these forums, but I have no clue what differences there are.

When should I use a bullet, mini-bullet, or turret camera? Also, how do I know what size lens to use?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The difference between turrets and bullets isnt really all that much, and is mostly personal preference, aesthetics, and perhaps price depending on your source.

The turrets have a slight edge in not being as susceptible to spider webs due to the location of the IR LED's. The Turrets have LED's under the lens, the bullets have them both above and below the lens. We're talking 1/4 - 1/2" difference in placement of the LED's. If a spider likes your camera, you'll get webs on occasion with almost any camera.

There is NO difference in low-light quality if you compare comparable cameras in the same series. Same specs

Bullet
IPC-HFW5231E-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Turret
IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

I think most will agree to stay away from dome cameras for outdoors.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Joshme,

Another Seattle-ite! Welcome to the forum!

outdoor wireless IP cameras
WiFi cameras for security suck! See this thread:
WiFi and NVR

how do I know what size lens to use?
Start with a varifocal, and adjust the FOV to meet the needs of the camera's location.
Fixed vs Vari Focal
Starlight: Varifocal vs Fixed

Camera location is crucial, and sorta tricky. Many folks end up re-mounting their cams, to improve coverage. To avoid this, use a test rig. Or usse the camera calculator referenced below. It uses google maps, and will tell you what lens will cover what area, and how well it will cover that area.
Best location for Camera
Advice appreciated
Best camera positioning?

The Starlight series has awesome low-light nighttime performance.

Again, Welcome!
Fastb

Racenut

n3wb
Reaction score
One consideration is mounting size and location. The base of the turret cameras is quite a bit larger than the mount for a bullet. One spot I want to mount a camera, the trim is not wide enough for a turret, but a bullet mount will fit nicely. But other than that, I'll be using turrets.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
My issue with bullet cameras is that they stick out too much (bulky), and sometimes are not counter-weighted properly. A mini-bullet may suit, but misses out of a lot features that a real rugged bullet camera may have.

joshme

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, and thanks FastB for the Seattle welcome! This is all very helpful.

This is the second time I've been warned not to use wi-fi. I don't have wires where I need them, and it will be very difficult to put them in based on my layout in a townhome. What about using ethernet-over-powerline, like this? I don't see why this wouldn't work and it's way cheaper than trying to get new wiring done.

I'm really trying to keep costs down, and it seems like the Starlight models are all pretty expensive so I think I might pass on those. It also seems like I can't get a varifocal for the price I want. I'm trying to spend under $100 per camera. I'll do some planning - a 3.6mm lens might do the trick and there's a Dahua mini-bullet I'm seeing priced around $60 (IPC-HFW1320S). Am I making a huge mistake?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There are vari-focals for under $100 right now, but do not feature starlight.
IPC-HFW4431R-Z still the best varifocal for under $100?

Many forum members suggest not to rely on powerline adapters as there can be inconsistency when it comes to a stable connection. Powerline adapters should be a last resort option. But never use WiFi. I'm glad that you stumbled across this forum. :D
I have a couple of mini-bullets (Amcrest-branded)-same as the HFW-1320S, but I wouldn't suggest them unless they were installed in a tighter-confined area.

You'll want to have vari-focal handy, because not every area will need a 2.8mm, 3.6mm, or 6mm lense.

The $60 pricing may be great for starter cams, but if you want to start out right, a $120 camera (fixed lens) will be the sweet spot.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks FastB for the Seattle welcome! This is all very helpful.

This is the second time I've been warned not to use wi-fi. I don't have wires where I need them, and it will be very difficult to put them in based on my layout in a townhome. What about using ethernet-over-powerline, like this? I don't see why this wouldn't work and it's way cheaper than trying to get new wiring done.

I'm really trying to keep costs down, and it seems like the Starlight models are all pretty expensive so I think I might pass on those. It also seems like I can't get a varifocal for the price I want. I'm trying to spend under $100 per camera. I'll do some planning - a 3.6mm lens might do the trick and there's a Dahua mini-bullet I'm seeing priced around $60 (IPC-HFW1320S). Am I making a huge mistake?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.