Buying Dell from eBay, asking for Service Tag number

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I had seen a post that said when you buy a Dell from eBay to ask for the service tag number, and then verify the warranty on Dell's site.
So, I've just started looking on eBay, and when I emailed a seller for the tag number, they responded that they could not provide the entire tag number, but provided me with the following:

Service Tag: 2GW**** Ship date: November 02, 2016 Country: United States Print
Service Start date (GMT time zone) End date (GMT time zone)
Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Consumer Customer)/ Next Business Day Onsite After Remote Diagnosis (Commercial Customer) November 02, 2016 February 01, 2020

I've never bought a used Dell before, should I beware of this seller, if they will not provide me with the Service Tag number? Or are they possibly just being cautious? Is there something someone can do if they have someone else's service tag number?
This seller did offer their own 6 month warranty. But I'm more interested in Dell's warranty.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I had seen a post that said when you buy a Dell from eBay to ask for the service tag number, and then verify the warranty on Dell's site.
So, I've just started looking on eBay, and when I emailed a seller for the tag number, they responded that they could not provide the entire tag number, but provided me with the following:

Service Tag: 2GW**** Ship date: November 02, 2016 Country: United States Print
Service Start date (GMT time zone) End date (GMT time zone)
Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Consumer Customer)/ Next Business Day Onsite After Remote Diagnosis (Commercial Customer) November 02, 2016 February 01, 2020

I've never bought a used Dell before, should I beware of this seller, if they will not provide me with the Service Tag number? Or are they possibly just being cautious? Is there something someone can do if they have someone else's service tag number?
This seller did offer their own 6 month warranty. But I'm more interested in Dell's warranty.
IF the seller confirms the warranty you have nothing to worry about.,...when you get it, check the service tag..if the warranty is different than what is mentioned, simply file a dispute...doubt they are misleading you - particularly if they have good feedback

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Dell ended up having one on the Outlet that was even cheaper.