Buying first home, want customized surveillance -- please help!

Reaction score
Hello all -- this is my very first post here and I was hoping I could get some answers from you helpful folks. My wife and I are purchasing our first home and I want to have a surveillance solution up as soon as we move in. I've fleshed out a part list here (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QsmCvV) and was hoping I could get some feedback on expected performance, issues, expansion options, alternatives, etc.

I chose the Reolink cameras for external use due to the higher resolution and quality while using Amcrest for internals and the black silhouette. Much of the computer itself is already bought so I'm hoping that this CPU/RAM configuration will be sufficient for this workload.

Thanks again -- if you have helpful threads or resources that you suggest I read, please link. I have been browsing a lot but I will have definitely overlooked some good information.

Thanks so much!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More resolution does not mean more quality; 4MP Cameras outside generally suck big donkey dicks.. Reolink brand sucks ass; AmCrest are just rebranded Dahua

Buy these cameras: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

and building a blueiris server typically costs several times more than just getting a premade; why you buying 3x4TB when you could buy 2x6TB? You dont need NV's, normal Purples are fine for arrays consisting of under 8 disks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all -- this is my very first post here and I was hoping I could get some answers from you helpful folks. My wife and I are purchasing our first home and I want to have a surveillance solution up as soon as we move in. I've fleshed out a part list here (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QsmCvV) and was hoping I could get some feedback on expected performance, issues, expansion options, alternatives, etc.

I chose the Reolink cameras for external use due to the higher resolution and quality while using Amcrest for internals and the black silhouette. Much of the computer itself is already bought so I'm hoping that this CPU/RAM configuration will be sufficient for this workload.

Thanks again -- if you have helpful threads or resources that you suggest I read, please link. I have been browsing a lot but I will have definitely overlooked some good information.

Thanks so much!
Please STOP. Start doing some research before wasting 2k on a pc with an old processor and reolink cameras which are not only garbage but wont work well with blue iris...
higher resolution is not always better, in fact its generally worse for low light and night vision..see dahua starlight threads...

Reaction score
More resolution does not mean more quality; 4MP Cameras outside generally suck big donkey dicks.. Reolink brand sucks ass; AmCrest are just rebranded Dahua

Buy these cameras: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

and building a blueiris server typically costs several times more than just getting a premade; why you buying 3x4TB when you could buy 2x6TB? You dont need NV's, normal Purples are fine for arrays consisting of under 8 disks
Please STOP. Start doing some research before wasting 2k on a pc with an old processor and reolink cameras which are not only garbage but wont work well with blue iris...
higher resolution is not always better, in fact its generally worse for low light and night vision..see dahua starlight threads...
Awesome, I'll read your reviews for the Dahua cameras and go that direction.

Also, not really building a computer so much as just reprovisioning it. It used to be my unRAID box but I just upgraded to a dual Xeon build for that computer and wanted to be able to utilize (what I feel) is still a decently powerful and relevant CPU. I already have everything except storage, software/OS, and cameras so I guess my question is better phrased as "what system would you build if you already had these parts?"

Thanks for the feedback though, I will immediately start reading up on those cams.

Reaction score
Consider the cost of running the machine over time, example most Xeons are power hogs. They make nice room heaters.
Good call. Yeah our energy bill won't be terribly small considering the dual Xeon plex build, the surveillance server and everything else I have.

@nayr Okay so I'm going to be pursuing the Dahua cams. Great reviews by the way -- you were very thorough and I like all the various comments about use cases and comparisons. I reached out to @EMPIRETECANDY through PM and email - hoping to hear back about placing an order and IPCT discount mentioned. I hope to order an initial batch of 4 or 5 of the varifocal turrets and setup BI to configure and play around with.

Also, I chose to go with three WD Purples because it's cheaper than two 6TB and space is not an issue in my computer.

Any idea on how many of these I could comfortably support with my 3770K? I was hoping to ultimately have about 12 cameras outside and inside -- is this processor sufficient?

What about OS? I loathe Windows 10 on principle and would prefer to stick with Windows 7 but will defer to whatever the experts say.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, not really building a computer so much as just reprovisioning it. It used to be my unRAID box
Oh man your tearing apart your unraid server :puke: ... also you could get a nice i5 hp system off eBay for 300-400 and run 30-40 watts at load.... :headbang: shop around and ditch the space heater

Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the difference from a NVR and a Media Server box is your NVR is processing 12 HD Video streams 24/7/365 non stop.. your Media Server does what 1-3 streams intermittently?

Power Consumption should be taken into consideration; your likely going to burn more electricity in the next couple years than the machines are worth.. your NVR is always under load and no energy star power stuff is ever going to have a chance.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah it's too late hah. I already built the upgraded Mk II unRAID server and it's a beauty: Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 8-Core, 600T Silver ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

I wanted to support more streams anyway and the 9500 Passmark score on the 3700K just wasn't cutting it.
That won't work that well for Blue Iris. To use hardware acceleration in BlueIris you need intel integrated graphics with quick video sync. A 6th or 7th generation i7 or i5 will outperform the Xeon and cost way less to run. IDK, maybe you like throwing money away.

Reaction score
That won't work that well for Blue Iris. To use hardware acceleration in BlueIris you need intel integrated graphics with quick video sync. A 6th or 7th generation i7 or i5 will outperform the Xeon and cost way less to run. IDK, maybe you like throwing money away.
The dual-Xeon build is NOT for Blue Iris. It's a dedicated Plex media server.

Honestly, I don't understand where the disconnect is at. I just want some good info on how to reutilize the components for the old server: Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0, 600T ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Here's the info for the components I already own or just bought:
  • Intel i7-3770k w/Hyper 212 EVO cooler
  • Asus P8Z77-V LK and 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 RAM
  • ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB SSD
  • Western Digital Purple 4TB (x3)
I figured I would throw a GTX 1050 in there for monitoring the UI and would pick up 4 or 5 Dahua Varifocal Turrets to start.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intel i7-3770k w/Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Your earlier generation i7-3770k will be fine for your house system. I get the cost benefit of using something you already have. There's lots of good info on this forum regarding all aspects of IP cams. Spend some time searching and reading and learn from others experiences and mistakes.
Search Results for Query: I7-3770 | IP Cam Talk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'll probably have to yank that Nvidia card out unless your Bios lets you have both that and the Intel HD GFX Enabled at same time.. BI wont use the video card for HW Acceleration and simply having it installed often disables the onboard GFX all together.. Having it installed or setup incorrectly could result in no hardware acceleration at all.

Reaction score
Your earlier generation i7-3770k will be fine for your house system. I get the cost benefit of using something you already have. There's lots of good info on this forum regarding all aspects of IP cams. Spend some time searching and reading and learn from others experiences and mistakes.
Search Results for Query: I7-3770 | IP Cam Talk
Thank you. Yeah that's pretty much all I've been doing with free time is reading various posts. It looks like @bp2008 uses an i7-3770k so I've been reading a lot of his posts. I'd love for him to chime in with his experience, thresholds or limitations, etc. Thanks for the response!

You'll probably have to yank that Nvidia card out unless your Bios lets you have both that and the Intel HD GFX Enabled at same time.. BI wont use the video card for HW Acceleration and simply having it installed often disables the onboard GFX all together.. Having it installed or setup incorrectly could result in no hardware acceleration at all.
Ah yeah I was reading some of your other posts and immediately cancelled the order for the dedicated GPU when I read that you were saying it wouldn't work. Thanks again @nayr