buying IPC-HDW5442T-ZE-S3 and synology

cadreboot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
My first post, be gentle for I am n00b.

I want a setup mostly for capturing prowlers at night. So human identification, jerks on push bikes - mostly looking into cars and smashing windows.

I have a 5-year-old Hikvision currently and a Synology surveillance station. I mostly need to manually check the video if anything happens. So I want way better automagic detection happening.

Zeroing in on IPC-HDW5442T-ZE-S3.

Questions
  • seems hard to get this in Australia. Is there a disadvantage to buying international/OS versions?
  • Are firmware updates an issue at all? The vendors seem to warn against using non-local cams..
  • this cam is not on the Synology support list. Has anybody used it with the Synology surveillance station? Does it seem okay?
  • So I have been using the synology, I have no idea on NVR’s. is there are clear advantage to NVR’s? or stick with synology for now?

thank you so much :)
Dan

Reaction score
There are several folks from AU on this forum that have purchased this cam from @EMPIRETECANDY with no issues.

As far as firmware updates, if you buy it from @EMPIRETECANDY it will be upgradeable using new releases supplied by him. But we always say only update if it is needed.

There are several folks on this forum that use Synology. Never heard anyone complain of this cam not working.

Many folks use Synology and many use an NVR. Many folks here use BlueIris, which is what I use. Each has its pros and cons.

Tech Lucas

n3wb
Reaction score
I normally buy Dahua and Hikvision cameras and NVRs directly from a supplier in China. The international version works fine, and I get much cheaper prices than in the local area. However, you need to ensure that the supplier is reliable; I’ve had some bad experiences, but I later found the authorized dealer that offers long-term aftersales service and genuine products.

Regarding firmware updates, both brands provide firmware updates on their websites, and you can download them to perform the updates yourself. However, I do not suggest doing updates too often unless it is necessary.

As for Synology, I remember that it supports Dahua and Hikvision IP cameras. All models should have the same protocol, so your model should work (but it’s better to check again yourself).

Personally, I prefer NVRs because I don't like too many third parties being involved in surveillance information.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,
My first post, be gentle for I am n00b.

I want a setup mostly for capturing prowlers at night. So human identification, jerks on push bikes - mostly looking into cars and smashing windows.

I have a 5-year-old Hikvision currently and a Synology surveillance station. I mostly need to manually check the video if anything happens. So I want way better automagic detection happening.

Zeroing in on IPC-HDW5442T-ZE-S3.

Questions
  • seems hard to get this in Australia. Is there a disadvantage to buying international/OS versions?
  • Are firmware updates an issue at all? The vendors seem to warn against using non-local cams..
  • this cam is not on the Synology support list. Has anybody used it with the Synology surveillance station? Does it seem okay?
  • So I have been using the synology, I have no idea on NVR’s. is there are clear advantage to NVR’s? or stick with synology for now?

thank you so much :)
Dan
Just buy it here.
aliexpress.com/item/2255801012879544.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt