Cable cobfusion

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK so I'm finally starting my shopping list for my 1st install.
Monoprice offers :

1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 500MHz, 23AWG for $89.99
1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 500MHz, 23AWG, Blue - Monoprice.com

then they offer "almost" same cat6 cable only 350MHz for $104.99
1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Cable, UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 23AWG, Blue, No Logo - Monoprice.com

The only difference seems to be the cheaper version is 500 MHz compared to the 350MHz of the version that is $15 more?!! There doesn't seem to be a sale so why would the 500 be cheaper than the 350? Granted I have no clue what these #'s really mean but it would seem the 500 is "better",... correct?

And while I'm at it I will ask what the difference between these to cables are: "https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401&p_id=18548&seq=1&format=2
vs
1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Cable Copper Ethernet Cable, UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 350MHz, 23AWG - Gray - No Logo - Monoprice.com

The 1st is $2 CHEAPER but states ETL listed where as the second which doen not say ETL listed costs more?!! Again,..if the only difference is 1 is ETL listed and the other is not,..then shouldn't the ETLl isted version be "better AND cost more - not $2 less?!!!:idk:

Not trying to over analyze this like I do everything else - and I am sure ALL 3 cables would be fine,....but I would like to understand the differences between the 3.
FWIW I was considering the 500 MHz based on what I thought had the best performance,...but the cheaper price has me a little confused :confused:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is pretty confusing as you have pointed out. You can call them and ask. They do a great deal of marketing and perhaps some old stuff fell through the cracks. Personally I am a Belden cable fan but I would not be afraid of the 89.99 Monoprice cable you linked. You cannot beat their pricing for a quality solid copper cable. Give them a ring. I drive by there about once a month or so and need to stop in myself. I have been very pleased with their quality and service.

But that is goofy.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not trying to over analyze this like I do everything else - and I am sure ALL 3 cables would be fine,....but I would like to understand the differences between the 3.
FWIW I was considering the 500 MHz based on what I thought had the best performance,...but the cheaper price has me a little confused :confused:
Yes, it always is a bit confusing. Sometimes there are definite differences, other times it is not so clear.

Think about it this way, when you go into a hardware store and see rows and rows of hammers... and many just look the sample but are priced differently.

The $89 cat6 works well when I used it, so I would wait and see if there is a discount in the next couple of days.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've used the first cable you linked to with no problems. Open up the Specification Sheet and it states it's ETL verified: https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/specsheets/Monoprice_Cat6_UTP_CMR_Solid_Bulk_Cable_150413.pdf

The only difference seems to be the cheaper version is 500 MHz compared to the 350MHz of the version that is $15 more?!! There doesn't seem to be a sale so why would the 500 be cheaper than the 350?
The main different is Cat6A (500MHz) vs Cat6 (350MHz) & branded "Monoprice" vs no brand. So I guess you get a discount for advertising Monoprice. Technically Cat6A (500MHz) is "better" since it supports a 10 Gigabit network while Cat6 supports a 1 Gigabit network. For our purposes both cables are overkill.

Here is a good read on the cable ratings: Cable Facts | Standards and Approvals

Moral of the story, go with the cheapest you linked or go even cheaper with cat5 as long as it's 100% pure bare copper wire.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ever notice how a 4 ft. fluorescent tube for your workshop light can be $1.25 each while the little 18" tube under your kitchen cabinet can be 4 times as much? That's because the 4 footer is very much in demand AND very available. Sometimes pricing makes little sense to those of us that aren't in sales or marketing but are strictly an end user.

As long as you get solid copper (no CCA, Copper Clad Aluminum), 350MHz or better, CAT-5e or 6, CMR jacket (CMP 'Plenum' would be higher rated but is not required in your application) and you buy from a reputable source (be wary of suppliers, especially offshore, that offer non-rated or possibly COUNTERFEIT ratings on cable jacket) then I think you're covering the right bases.