Cable modem & WiFi router

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been looking for something better to replace my d-link dir-857.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
TBH I have been staying away from Linksys products for a few years now. I have had to replace 5 Linksys routers that just stopped working (couldn't kill my good ol' WRT54G though). Granted I put a lot of stress on my routers but I have been extremely happy with my Asus AC68U router. It's been perfect for me and hasn't given me any issues. It does everything I need it to do and the stock firmware is not too shabby. I usually like to flash DD-WRT on my routers but I haven't really had to...yet. I'm still on the supplied modem from my ISP though, been meaning to swap it out so I will be keeping an eye on this thread too.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Received modem and router yesterday (USPS Sunday?). Install went fine. Took me 3 hours to get everything set up. Every time I thought I had it all done I would test and find something I forgot. I can't really comment on the speed of any one device because I went from wireless n to ac and from DSL (1 mbps) to cable (60+ mbps). Overall speed is faster in all areas. I'm happy with the purchase, easy setup and works as advertised.

Since I have 4 wireless cams on 802.11n 2.4G and laptops on ac 5G is this like two independent wireless systems?

BTW, if anyone has tips on tweeking the RT-AC68U I am interested.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The RT-AC68U is what I have also. If you are looking for some nice tweaks, I would recommend installing DD-WRT or Shibby's Tomato firmware on it. I personally prefer Tomato because the interface is cleaner and I think it is more user friendly.

The last time I used Asus stock firmware was over a year ago with my AC66U. I don't know if it has improved since then, but nearly every configuration change would force the router to reboot. With Tomato firmware, most configuration changes take effect without rebooting the router and without even affecting existing connections. That is huge if you live in a multi-user household where it will bother people if the internet stops working for a few minutes.

However there is one problem I know of with Tomato on this router. Inbound QOS appears to be non-functional, while outbound QOS appears to work normally. In case you aren't familiar with QOS, here is a decent explanation. With a 60 Mbps download connection, this isn't as big a deal as it would have been with your old connection, so I'd still recommend Tomato.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always used DD-WRT in the past on all of my routers and have been happy. I haven't flashed it on my AC68U yet though, but will be sooner than later.