Cable Questions

Reaction score
I'm building what I hope will be my last house. I'm in the woods and mountains of NE Alabama. It is 470 feet from the driveway cam to the house. Lots of trees. No existing power at the camera location.
I wish a wireless Ubiquiti solution was an option, but that doesn't look like an option with the dense foliage. So I'm going with Cat 5e.

On this run there will be a camera at the beginning of the driveway and a mid driveway cam.

It seems to be the consensus that proper shielding and grounding is important unless I'm willing to risk replacement issues in the future. So I will be using shielded cable. I'm assuming that it is best grounded at the house end (rather than the camera end) to reduce the voltage differential through the earth between shield and the connected PoE switch if/when a nearby lightning strike occurs.
Is this correct?

I have sufficient extra 1" pex waterline to function as a protective conduit. I plan on running 3 cables, each camera +1. This will be a continuous run of pex from a 500' roll except for a break with connectors/adapters for a box for the extender and the cable branch for the mid-drive cam.
Is there any problem with this, other than potential nicking of the cable at connectors?

My main question is the type of cable. I am leaning towards outdoor shielded dry gel tape cable such as:
Outdoor Shielded Dry Gel Tape CAT5e FTP Cable 1000ft Spool
This is one of the more expensive options. I'm assuming that the dry gel tape would be easier to work with than the gel filled.
Is this overkill or the wrong solution?
Is standard outdoor, or even indoor, rated cable an option since it is inside the pex? (I understand that with conduit it's not a question of if moisture will come in, but w

I understand that running fiber and power is an option that has several benefits but if I can get a reliable solution at the much lower cost that is my preference.

I appreciate any thoughts and/or critiques.

Last edited:
Reaction score
320 feet (give or take) is the make "certifiable" distance for networking cable. However, I have seen 400+ feet for wireless AP's.
470 feet? I doubt that would work (I've never tried).
Your fiber solution would need a copper to fiber multimedia converter device between camera & fiber which would require AC plug in.
You mentioned you have 2 cameras along the driveway: midpoint and endpoint. You could run your Cat5e and electrical to midpoint. Install 5 port POE switch there, then finish running out to end point.
With whatever you go with (shielded or grounded cable), consider fuses at each point.
Others might chime in about the POE extenders. Never dabbled with it but I bet that is your cheapest and best answer.
I've laid burial cable (there is a difference between outdoor cable and burial cable, btw) right into the ground without any conduit with no problems (you pick and choose the depth). Granted, never had to worry about utility folks shoveling up the area, or home owners for that matter. We did add yellow "utility cable" tape above the cable the entire length, just in case.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I would recommend the gel-filled shielded for this application. Ground the shield at both ends.