Cable questions

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I have the locations of the cameras nailed down, so now I need to get cabling and run it.
Before I purchase a bunch of unecessary or wrong stuff, I am looking to the smart folks for input....
I have the Klein Ratcheting crimp tool (VDV226-110) and the Klein Lan Scout Jr 2 cable tester (that I have used to make some of the temporary cables that I ran to the cameras) and the Klein Pass through jacks.

After all of me reading here, and the trueCable blogs, it seems that I should be good with Cat5E.

I will be running mostly through the attic and then a few feet outside to the camera (probably less then 5' and covered by roof overhang) so I don't think I need to worry about outdoor cable, but correct me if I am wrong, please.

I plan to run the cables in groups of 3-4 to each location, but not in conduit or any other kind of enclosure but I am considering zip tying the bundle together in a few places just to keep them together on the longer runs (100-150 ft).
Will this cause me any issues?

For cabling, is this what I want and is this a good price or should I be looking at some other vendor?
Cat5e Riser Ethernet Cable|Unshielded

Are the "Strain Relief Boots" something that is worth adding? If so, what brand is suggested and where would the best place to get them be (trueCable, Amazon, etc.)?

Is there anything else I am missing or should be looking at?

Thanks,

Eric

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there anything else I am missing or should be looking at?

I have used that True Cable with good results.

If you buy the True Cable, buy the True Cable Brand Pass through connectors.

I have that Klein tool and the Klein connectors are a tad small for that wire. There is a thread I posted, it was a &%$##@!!! to use that cable with the Klein brand.

I will try and find the thread and add to this post.

ETA

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I plan to run the cables in groups of 3-4 to each location, but not in conduit or any other kind of enclosure but I am considering zip tying the bundle together in a few places just to keep them together on the longer runs (100-150 ft).
Will this cause me any issues?

Are the "Strain Relief Boots" something that is worth adding? If so, what brand is suggested and where would the best place to get them be (trueCable, Amazon, etc.)?
Tying them together is fine, just don't got too tight when pulling down the cable tie.

I don't use strain relief boots on any of my runs. They get punched down to a patch panel in my rack (no boot required) and then terminated with just an RJ45 plug at the camera end. Good connectors will have a strain relief built in that clamps down on the cable when you crimp it.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are doing a new installation you may as well go with Cat6 solid copper. And yes, pass through crimp connectors are the way to go in my opinion. I do use strain relief boots. They are cheap and help to protect the connector tab when you need to pull the cable back out...which I hope you don't but who knows. $2.50 for 50 = cheap. You don't need outdoor (direct burial) cable. Most of my cams are mounted to the soffit so the connections are up in there but I do use the waterproof caps that come with the cameras.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Additional question, is there any difference between the cable I linked to in the original post from trueCable and this cable from MonoPrice that I needs to be taken into consideration?
Monoprice Cat5e 1000ft Blue CMR UL Bulk Cable, UTP, Solid, 24AWG, 350MHz, Pure Bare Copper, Reelex II Pull Box, Bulk Ethernet Cable - Monoprice.com
The only difference I can see is that the blue from Monoprice is VERY cheap!
Both are solid (not stranded), pure copper (not CCA), are CMR-rated (Riser), 24 AWG and free shipping.
I've heard good things about True Cable but no first hand experience, however I have had experience with Monoprice and it has been very positive on all 3 occasions. :cool:

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@TonyR
I purchased a smaller box of the Monoprice "Riser Rated" cable from Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and was happy with it.

I was hung up on the one I linked not be "riser rated" until I found something last night that indicated that CMR was the same.

I purchased 3 for my initial runs - I am running 3 cables to most areas so it will be easier to mark them and run 3 at a time rather than 1 at a time, especially since most of them are at the opposite end of the house from where the switch will be.

If you don't mind waiting until the middle of April, the same is available from Monoprice on Amazon for about $56.

TrueCable was ~ 125 for 1000', where the Monprice order was $ 195 for 3000' so once I found out CMR=Riser Rated, it was pretty much a gimme on which cabling to get. I can use the savings for a couple of additional cameras :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, R in CMR = Riser and P in CMP = Plenum *.
BTW, in a pinch you can use P where R is merited (walls, attics, crawl spaces) but it's more expensive; however, you can't use R where P is merited.

* From Wikipedia ==>> "A plenum space is a part of a building that can facilitate air circulation for heating and air conditioning systems, by providing pathways for either heated/conditioned or return airflow."

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@TonyR
Thanks. This is one of the areas that is a pain any time you are learning something new... terminology. I don't care what industry you are learning about, it takes time to figure out the terminology and what it means, how different vendors use it, and how vendors use similar terminology to confuse the issue so that they can sell crap that looks like it is quality or meets the specs. Thankfully, I found this site because it has made an incredible difference in realizing what is needed, what is extra and what is bs in advertising.