Cable route Suggestions

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing an NVR and 6 cameras on my landlords home and would like suggestions on wire run placement as well as what conduit to use for the outside runs.

Stars indicate where cameras will be installed and red lines indicate conduit/cable runs.

The house is made up of a bunch of additions with attic access connected through the main ( attic 1 ) and the 2nd breezeway area (attic 2 ). My idea is to run the cable from the NVR room, up the wall into attic 1, through attic 2, to the outside wall of attic 2, behind the chimney, where one camera will be installed under the soffit by the slider than continue 3 more cables down the wall to and through the back of the garage. Once in the garage, I can run my wires for the side of the garage, the front of the garage and the front door breezeway.

The other two cameras: The first one will be far right front soffit zoomed in to see the front door and path area. The second one will be in the back where I will have to run conduit down the side of the house and across a flat roof where the camera will hang under the soffit by the gutter to give a view of the back entry points.

I would like suggestions on camera placement and cable runs and type of conduit or anything else I may want to use for the outside runs.

IMG_5245 (1).jpg IMG_5249.jpg 20171106_162442.jpg

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing an NVR and 6 cameras on my landlords home and would like suggestions on wire run placement as well as what conduit to use for the outside runs....
Hi Rufunky,

I used both EMT 1/2"+ and grey PVC 3/4"+ conduit when I installed my system.

Used EMT 1/2" in super tight spots as well as spots going next to electrical lines, and 3/4"+ PVC in attic / crawl spaces.

For outdoors I would go with the 1/2"+ emt - note, it maybe a tight fit for some cat6 cables. ( cat5e worked well and thinner cable cat6 w/o the thicker separator - I was able to put in 4 cables carefully through 1/2" that way )

Also I did not see a camera low enough covering the front door... suggest adding another one close to the front door.

Note: I do not like the plan you have about going over the roofing, sooner or later the roof will need new shingles - and that means redo of the cabling run. I'd try another route even if longer.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Mat200, my concern with the EMT is that it will add to the attraction of lightning. Is this something I shouldn't worry about?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Mat200, my concern with the EMT is that it will add to the attraction of lightning. Is this something I shouldn't worry about?
Interesting question.

Guess depends on the local code, weather, house, ... typically higher points attract lighting, so normally not much to worry about when running EMT along walls or eaves.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also I did not see a camera low enough covering the front door... suggest adding another one close to the front door.

Note: I do not like the plan you have about going over the roofing, sooner or later the roof will need new shingles - and that means redo of the cabling run. I'd try another route even if longer.
As for the front door camera, the landlord doesn't want wires or conduit showing in the front of the house. That is why I suggested the far right soffit with an adjustable zoom lens.

Not sure where you are referring to "going over the roofing". do you mean on the back where the flat roof is? That is the only part that will be crossing any area of the roof. Not sure of any other way to get the cable to that area but I am open to suggestions.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As for the front door camera, the landlord doesn't want wires or conduit showing in the front of the house. That is why I suggested the far right soffit with an adjustable zoom lens.

Not sure where you are referring to "going over the roofing". do you mean on the back where the flat roof is? That is the only part that will be crossing any area of the roof. Not sure of any other way to get the cable to that area but I am open to suggestions.
Hi Rufunky,

Do look and see what you can do to avoid going over the roofing tiles...

For the front door you can get a camera with a nice "zoom" and bring it down by the water drain on the corner of the house down to about 10ft and point it at the front door and at least get a good side view of people coming to the front door.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If ENT is properly grounded, it will aid in shielding the wires inside from surges caused by close by lightning strikes. Close being up to 2 miles away.

If that is Vinyl siding, there are always ways to get a wire to the front door without it being visible. Run it down behind the gutter drain, then horizontal behind the siding to the front door. Use a siding zip tool to unlock the siding.

siding zip tool video - Google Search

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If ENT is properly grounded, it will aid in shielding the wires inside from surges caused by close by lightning strikes. Close being up to 2 miles away.

If that is Vinyl siding, there are always ways to get a wire to the front door without it being visible. Run it down behind the gutter drain, then horizontal behind the siding to the front door. Use a siding zip tool to unlock the siding.

siding zip tool video - Google Search
Good to know about the ENT! Also, it is vinyl siding so I will pick up one of those Siding Zip tools and drop that front camera a little closer to 10 ft off the ground. I don't know if there is vinyl on the addition next to the flat roof in the back but it would be great if I could run the wire across and under the siding instead of going across the roof.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question... is it necessary to use an outdoor cable when running cable down and behind siding? I would imagine short lengths of the cable will be exposed before and after you run the cable under the siding.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question... is it necessary to use an outdoor cable when running cable down and behind siding? I would imagine short lengths of the cable will be exposed before and after you run the cable under the siding.
If it will be exposed to the direct sunlight, then yes. Other wise it will only last a few years.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI Rufunky,

I would think paint or some sort of UV protective tape maybe useful for the small sections of wire which maybe exposed.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HI Rufunky,

I would think paint or some sort of UV protective tape maybe useful for the small sections of wire which maybe exposed.
Good Idea but I ended up ordered some TOUGHCable pro along with some RJ45 waterproof couplings. I figure I will run the standard indoor cable from the NVR room, up and through the wall into the attic and then use the coupling to extend the outdoor cable. This way if the outdoor cable degrades over time the whole run doesn't have to be pulled.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There should be no issues with POE by joining Cat6 to Cat5e with a coupling, correct?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There should be no issues with POE by joining Cat6 to Cat5e with a coupling, correct?
HI Rufunky,

I prefer not splicing / joining cables as each joint increases another failure point - so better to do a long run, leave enough cable slack in case you need to cut the bad cable section off and splice / join with a good coupling parts in the future.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not use flexible conduit then you don't have to worry about lightning strikes

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not use flexible conduit then you don't have to worry about lightning strikes
I think the OP intends to ground the EMT intentionally to help divert induced lightning static to ground, protecting the network cable inside the conduit and the active devices on either end of the cable.

No amount of metallic conduit, grounding, shielded cable, surge arresting/suppression, etc. will guarantee prevention of damage by a DIRECT hit from lightning, but most lightning events are nearby strikes which can cause damage via induction. Proper grounding and shielding practices can help mitigate this damage (not guarantee prevention). It certainly can't help if it's not in place!

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the OP intends to ground the EMT intentionally to help divert induced lightning static to ground, protecting the network cable inside the conduit and the active devices on either end of the cable.

No amount of metallic conduit, grounding, shielded cable, surge arresting/suppression, etc. will guarantee prevention of damage by a DIRECT hit from lightning, but most lightning events are nearby strikes which can cause damage via induction. Proper grounding and shielding practices can help mitigate this damage (not guarantee prevention). It certainly can't help if it's not in place!
I think you misunderstood him

my concern with the EMT is that it will add to the attraction of lightning. Is this something I shouldn't worry about?

hence my reply use flexible

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood him

my concern with the EMT is that it will add to the attraction of lightning. Is this something I shouldn't worry about?

hence my reply use flexible
Should not be so much of an issue if you are not using the EMT to make high points ( example setting up a PTZ 10' above the roof line )

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the NVR in the same place as the main router? I'd probably put a switch in the garage and just run one cable from your router or another switch on the network to the garage and then branch according to your plan.