Cable Splitter for Power

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cant use PoE where my camera is so i have a 12v PSU and want to add in external mic / speaker combo which will need their own 12V supplies (or something different maybe) .

So I've seen splitters the will split your 12v female into 2/3/4/5 female ends to share with multiple devices . Im assuming the initial PSU would (if we assume 2 devices are on it and they are both 12v ) i would need a 24v PSU ... is that right?

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have difficulties to read you but it is Amps that you should take care about not Voltage that stay the same.

The extra power (P = U x I) required by your Mic/Speaker/Light should not overload the max power writt on your PSU.

Usually cameras come with silghtly over powered PSU so you have some margin but if not then add a secondary 12V PSU.

Last edited:

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, you need a 12V PS to power two 12V devices. The voltage does not get 1/2 ed in this case, it stays the same.
You need to make sure the Power Supply can supply enough current (A) for the devices you will power, it is the current that is split among the devices.

Connect a 24v PSU to a 12V device, and you'll let out the magic smoke, not good!!

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
great - thank you both for this helpful advice ...