Calling any Doorbird owners

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone else have one? I am currently going back and forth with their support about a very odd behavior that happens every day. The unit appears to reboot itself and then proceeds to announce "The doorbird is now connected to the internet". It really is a most excellent feature for an urban residential neighborhood (/s).

They acknowledge that there is a 24 hour watchdog type "reset" but don't seem to acknowledge a full PoE cycle or an audible voice. Today I provided them with a video of another one of my cameras recording it happening. Cameras recording cameras to debug weird behavior of a camera. Good stuff.

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one and I have noticed that it did that the other day. Not sure why. But maybe it installed new firmware at the time. I know there was a recent update to the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one and I have noticed that it did that the other day. Not sure why. But maybe it installed new firmware at the time. I know there was a recent update to the app.

According to their changelog, their last firmware update was 2017-06-28 (The smartphone and tablet IP Video Door Station for iOS and Android). How long ago did you notice this? When I first noticed this happening, I initially blamed other things before I started looking at historical logs from my switch.

Do you have a managed PoE switch powering it? Can you see logs from your switch with link up/down state changes? I am seeing the unit go up/down from my switches perspective about every 24 hours.

When I asked them on May 10th if they knew anything about this odd behavior, they responded with "The DoorBird does perform a routine restart every 24 hours.". Other than this, I have been unable to get them to positively confirm if I should be seeing a full port cycle and if I should be hearing any verbal audio from my speaker.

Last edited:

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not powering via a switch. Just the transformer that came with it. I do have my automation software monitoring it and it pings it. I have added a notification if it's showing offline. The last time it was offline yesterday at 9am. I will keep you updated.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for setting up the test. I look forward to hearing about your results.

I haven't heard anything back from Doorbird since I sent them a video of it happening :(

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It just dropped off line this morning at 10:34 and came right back up I wasn't home but it's showing functional right now but I received a notification as soon as it happened.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tommyd75, what time zone are you in? I had a reset at 10:13 EST. I'm curious if somehow they are commanding this to happen centrally, the times that mine seem to reset are very erratic but happen once a day.

Any idea if your Doorbird made any audible noises when it did this ("The doorbird is now connected to the Internet")?

Assuming you are now seeing what I am seeing, how do you feel about the fact that your doorbell simply doesn't work if someone gets this unlucky daily timing? The unit takes over a minute to come back online as well.

Thanks

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in central time zone. When I was home last week it did make the noise because it reconnected. I'm not happy it's doing this. I think I did miss a visitor already.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea, that's how I started discovering this problem. I had a guest sitting outside my door and they knew I was home, but I was seemingly unresponsive via the doorbell. Eventually they knocked and shortly after I opened, we heard "The doorbird is now connected to the Internet". Then I did a facepalm and he was like "Nathan and his silly technology...".

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you by chance using the stream directly from the camera onto a third-party device?
I'm currently using it with a Raspberry Pi and Homebridge so I can see the DoorBird stream on my Home app as a HomeKit enabled camera. Maybe pulling that rtsp stream from it is over taxing the unit.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same exact thought. I was pulling the stream to Blue Iris but I killed it to try to eliminate this possibility. I killed it on 7/3 and have had consistent resets after that.

PS: Are you pulling audio? Did you run into the issue with the Doorbird only allowing a single audio stream and not letting the app take precedence?

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not pulling audio just video stream. I would like to try audio.

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Status update:
10:01 PM it went offline again, I was home and heard it reconnect and announce it outside.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys should forward this thread to the folks at doorbird...if they are not going to update their firmware and fix this then the users here should be made aware....seems like Ken is doing work to integrate this expensive low res 720p doorbell yet its subpar...at doorbird prices it should work better.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You guys should forward this thread to the folks at doorbird...if they are not going to update their firmware and fix this then the users here should be made aware....seems like Ken is doing work to integrate this expensive low res 720p doorbell yet its subpar...at doorbird prices it should work better.
Yep, I did.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fyi, axis has a nice unit but its really pricey at 800 AXIS A8105-E Network Video Door Station
The ones that we all want really only seem to exist for the commercial world. Doorbird was seemingly our most hopeful and at $400, they have pretty much dropped the ball. Now that I have tommyd75 confirming that my experience is not isolated, I'm pretty upset. Doorbird should have acknowledged what I was saying a long time ago, instead they told me to check if my PoE switch was doing "scheduled reboots". I switched ports, did extra logging, setup a camera to record what I suspected was happening during random times of the day (the voice). All of this, to prove exactly what I asked them originally and they denied.

Imagine Doorbird gets very popular and there is one of these every few doors throughout a residential neighborhood. Like a church chime, you hear "The doorbird is now connected to the Internet" throughout the day, from various houses. Their engineering/QA team really thought this was ready to ship like that? Was I really the first one to go out and prove this is happening? The fact that they even have audible voices to report the state is ridiculous.

I'm giving the Doorbird support one more shot to acknowledge this and put it on a timeline along with my other issues. I'm hoping they can start seeing us as actual users that are trying to make their products better and have real issues. Short of that, I will write a review on Amazon (purchased it via Amazon) outlining all of this so all users are aware of their serious defects.

Another fun fact and annoying fact:
Time to connect via LTE using IOS APP (app closed, opened from scratch, to video stream):
Open Internet (via their cloud service): 6 seconds
Pre-connected IPSec VPN to LAN where Doorbird installed (mDNS discovery): 2 seconds
RTT to their cloud service (apicdvd.doorbird.net / 138.201.36.195 - Hosted with Hetzner):
from installed location: 101ms
from phone on LTE: 145ms
Total latency from my phone back to the Doorbird via their cloud: 101+145=245ms
Total latency from my phone back to Doorbird location direct: 60ms
Maximum acceptable VoIP latency: one-way 150ms two-way 300ms​

They are right on the edge of being acceptable from standard specs, from my single test location. And in my experience, the voice communication done via their cloud is NOT acceptable. But yea, according to them, their EU servers (server?) based are fine and none of their users are complaining. No plans to deploy US servers or allow a cloud bypass.

I wouldn't have expected that a German engineered camera would disappoint me more than a lot of the garbage I buy via Aliexpress.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The ones that we all want really only seem to exist for the commercial world. Doorbird was seemingly our most hopeful and at $400, they have pretty much dropped the ball.
Agreed. At 400 its still very pricey for what it is....having these issues is unacceptable...

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad you started this thread. I want an onvif doorbell and doorbird is on my shortlist. Glad I'm not in a hurry to buy.