Cam Lag with BI, VLC, etc., but NOT ONVIF...

loopy123

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased this cheap IP Cam but noticed a lag on the RTSP stream in Blue Iris as well as the device's mobile app. The interesting thing is that using "ONVIF Device Manager" PC app, there is NO LAG... Weird.
The ONVIF reported stream is: rtsp:/192.168.1.196:8554/Streaming/Channels/101 , but in BI, this has a lag clearly seen side-by-side with ONVIF app.

Any ideas how to get the ONVIF "Live video" stream into BI without the lag? See ONVIF profile below.

Thanks!
2021-05-29 11_39_57-Window.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you are running it as wifi?

Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras whether you use BI or not because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. Someone tested this once and after 4 cameras, the wifi was unusable...and at the distance you may be and thru an exterior wall, if you do not have full bars, you will have trouble.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The no lag in its app is probably some proprietary software to mimic it not lagging - like it may do a little buffer or speed the frames up.

Last edited:

loopy123

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - yes it is on wifi and I have other cameras that do not have a lag in BI or in the ONVIF app, so I do not think it is a network traffic issue - plus side-by-side with BI, VLC, and ONVIF apps only ONVIF has no lag...
I think there is something like a network buffering setting that is unnecessarily causing a lag with this one cam.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind that BI and VLC, I believe, process the video which will introduce lag. The ONVIF app just shows "raw" video, unprocessed.