Cam without any connection to outside

Reaction score
Hi ipcamtalk,

im searching for a cam without any connection to the outside. As i understood, this outside connection over P2P. I dont want that.

I need a cam with the following attribute:
  • cam for outside
  • simple connection to my internal network. ideally over wlan
  • i want to access the cam over an internal IP adress 192.168.1.42 for example and watch the stream on a browser or maybe VLC stream.
  • nice to have would be to access the cam with an APP
  • the videos should be saved on a SDcard. Ideally with motion detection and night vision.
All IP cams on the market have that remote feature (P2P, cloud, ...). I dont want that for security reasons.
  • Do you have any hints what i should buy?
  • How about Dahua cams?
  • I dont want to build my own system with raspbery pi or an old android smartphone. I think there must be a ready solution for it.
  • Or which solutions are the users in this forum using with the same security requirements?
Thank you for your help.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check the Cliff Notes in the Wiki. There is a lot of information there that can get you started on selecting the right camera and setup. What you want to accomplish is pretty easy with many cameras, it will just depend on the quality of the camera that you want/need and your budget.

Reaction score
Wireless LAN isn't generally recommended, for several reasons:
  • unreliable
  • can be externally jammed
Power Over Ethernet (PoE) is the absolute best way to connect any camera, IMHO.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Many cameras (even good ones) have some sort of P2P/cloud crap or they send packets to internet servers for some reason or another. For that reason it is best to deny the cameras internet access either physically by keeping your cameras on a separate network or logicially via your router's firewall. It should be safe to allow NTP (UDP port 123), or you can easily run a local time server for a camera to sync time with.

Reaction score
thanks for your responds. i installed now openwert / LEDE on my router. do you have any link how to create a separate network? do i need a switch? or is it just possible with VLAN?

Another question due to PoE: do you know any PoE only cameras (no IP cameras

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When I say separate network, I mean just any network that doesn't have a link to the internet. You could achieve close to the same thing with a VLAN if the VLAN doesn't have internet access.

I'm not sure what you mean about "PoE only cameras". I think you did not finish your question. PoE is just a method of providing power over the same ethernet cable that is used for data, and the only type of camera you'll find with PoE are IP cameras.

Reaction score
Sorry, yes i didnt finsihed it. PoE only cameras i mean cams with ethernet connection (ideally PoE). Without WLAN and P2P, cloud, ...

I hope then i can access the cam directly with its internal ip in my network.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Most PoE cameras can be accessed directly without using the internet or a cloud service.

I can't recommend any specifically that don't have such features because I don't pay attention to those features. If the p2p/cloud features exist, they are blocked anyway because I'm paranoid about the cameras and I block their internet access.