Camera advise for a double storey.

georgeg

n3wb
Reaction score
I am very new to the forum. Please be nice.

My electrician has done the easy job of installing cat 6 cables on the eaves of a new double storey.(around 6 meters high). I know this is not ideal height after going through this forum. Electrician was too lazy to drill the bricks during construction phase.

Now it is too difficult for me to change the positions of the cables. Please advise list of cameras which camera would give me reasonable day and night stream without breaking the wallet. These cameras will be installed for viewing the front yard, around 8 meters to the street from the walls.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am very new to the forum. Please be nice.

My electrician has done the easy job of installing cat 6 cables on the eaves of a new double storey.(around 6 meters high). I know this is not ideal height after going through this forum. Electrician was too lazy to drill the bricks during construction phase.
Welcome @georgeg

So, due to your electrician wanting to arse around you're in a bog house.

Sorry to say, he basically screwed you from getting a good setup. This does happen with lazy tradesmen.

You're going to need to find a way to mount the cameras lower, and yes.. this is now significantly a much harder job because of an lazy arse.

georgeg

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunate that I didn’t find this forum before the house build. You guys are providing great service here.

It is too difficult to move the exiting cables, somehow have to make advantage of them. For the overall solution, I might have to manage with some wireless cameras and trying to see if I could integrate some outdoor cameras as part of landscaping.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunate that I didn’t find this forum before the house build. You guys are providing great service here.

It is too difficult to move the exiting cables, somehow have to make advantage of them. For the overall solution, I might have to manage with some wireless cameras and trying to see if I could integrate some outdoor cameras as part of landscaping.
Hi georgeg,

You'd still need to power up the wifi camera - so in some cases you may want to just see if you can run a cat5e/6 cable to it.

georgeg

n3wb
Reaction score
110% agree with CAT cables are my preferred option. I have few light points close to where I can mount cameras. That’s why thinking about Wi-Fi.