Camera aesthetics

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can see why consumer grade cameras like Arlo and Ring are attractive to some folks. They're much smaller and less obtrusive than cameras from Dahua and Hikvision. It seems the trade off of quality and security to obtain ease of installation and a smaller, less noticeable camera are worth it to some.

I'm curious what tips and tricks some of you may have to make installing higher quality (and typically larger physical size) cams less noticeable, more attractive and acceptable to the average Homeowner. Especially if you're trying to keep the cameras mounted below eight feet or so.

Any go-to cameras you folks have to meet the balance between quality and aesthetics?

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can see why consumer grade cameras like Arlo and Ring are attractive to some folks. They're much smaller and less obtrusive than cameras from Dahua and Hikvision. It seems the trade off of quality and security to obtain ease of installation and a smaller, less noticeable camera are worth it to some.

I'm curious what tips and tricks some of you may have to make installing higher quality (and typically larger physical size) cams less noticeable, more attractive and acceptable to the average Homeowner. Especially if you're trying to keep the cameras mounted below eight feet or so.

Any go-to cameras you folks have to meet the balance between quality and aesthetics?
I think there are conflicting opinions on this subject. One is the one you raise - attractive, less noticeable. I kind of lean to the other camp - noticeable but not totally ugly. I want anyone coming down my driveway to know there is ongoing surveillance. It's the old question deterrence or capture??? I vote for deterrence but my wife insists 'not ugly'.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just put a Dahua turret under the garage soffit. My wife said it "wasn't as big and ugly as she thought it was going to be."

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Rickoo, the Dahua Eyeball style cameras and the likes are noticeable but more elegant. And if you put them against a white background it makes them stand out less.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some people paint the camera to match the house. Some have mounted the cameras in outside lighting sconces, this gets the camera low, better face id. Some are mounted in window flower boxes. One mounted in a fake bird house next to the front door.

My cameras are mounted where you can see them.