Camera and software that will automatically zoom in on package and take picture of label

Dmikester1

n3wb
Reaction score
Just like the title says, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a PTZ camera and associated software that will automatically zoom in on a object like a package left on our doorstep and snap a picture of it. I would love to tinker around with figuring this out. Not afraid to dig into code if need be. After the picture is snapped, I would want to process the image by correctly rotating it, and then scanning it to determine who it is for and who sent it. The second part about processing the image seems like something I could probably figure out. The first part however, I was not able to find any options with my initial google searches.
Thanks
Mike

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Years ago there used to object detection in software that could track all the objects in a room and detect if one had been moved or removed. How effective it was or waht package it was in I don't remember. I would think it might be possible to write something custom around software like this. ie the software detectes a new object in t he frame and after X minutes (5) ? instructs the camera to centre on the object and zoom in, then pause for x seconds before zooming out and resuming normal ops. If you're wqondering why I'm suggesting a delay before zooming in the object, it's because you don't want the camera zooming in too close on people that might come into the frame a eg 5 min delay after the object has appeared gives time for anyone entering in the frame to do there thig and leave so hopefully only static objects are zoomed on.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve trained a yolo model to detect packages and send me an image notification to my phone as well as having Alexa announce the package.
4049319E-38B0-426F-87E1-B8472B65B9E1.jpeg
I’ve not really concerned myself who it’s from or to. In the photo above you can see it’s a meal delivery. Also, I sound an alarm if the dog is seen near the package. He thought the meal delivery was for him once which motivated me to get this working.

Dmikester1

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve trained a yolo model to detect packages and send me an image notification to my phone as well as having Alexa announce the package.
View attachment 73835
I’ve not really concerned myself who it’s from or to. In the photo above you can see it’s a meal delivery. Also, I sound an alarm if the dog is seen near the package. He thought the meal delivery was for him once which motivated me to get this working.
Thats awesome! Does your camera automatically pan/zoom/tilt to the package or is it already pointed and zoomed there?

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thats awesome! Does your camera automatically pan/zoom/tilt to the package or is it already pointed and zoomed there?
It's a 4k camera already pointed there. It crops it before sending me the notification. I'm not going to read the label, but it works well enough for my purposes.122914-front entry-package-annotated.jpg

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind not all shipper places label on top and not all delivery person actually put package on porch with the label upright or on top. :p

Dmikester1

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, I do realize that and obviously would have to account for that. I imagine the automated text might say "Amazon box delivered for unknown recipient."

Raisy

n3wb
Reaction score
View attachment 73835
[/ QUOTE]
Very well done