camera angle and settings

Bkwudz

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the previous help, still trying to tweak this camera
its a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E mounted in a box under mailbox. Im trying to understand optimal mounting and angle, for example, is it to low or high, should i be aiming down the street more with less of an angle and zooming in? or should it be closer to camera at more of an angle. the street is very dark,

Right now im kind of in the middle of those too scenarios, and if a car coming towards the camera but is more in the middle of the street im not getting a good image. If the car is in its lane, then the image is great. Thanks

mailbox.jpg
CaptureLPR.JPG

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to get the focus correct at night. You will need to set something in the middle of the road, and night, preferably a car with a license plate, and focus on that while it is stationary. Then use the day/night setting tool to save the setting and update the focus each evening. It will also change the Dahua to night mode before sunset, at a time offset you select.

You should be able to get good captures at that location. I'm running 135' and 40 degrees offset and run 99% capture rate, even at night. Put up some photos of cars that pass by. You may need to adjust the height, but the picture will tell - if it works, it works.

Bkwudz

n3wb
Reaction score
I moved the camera up to about 2’, still getting inconsistent images

3D520BD4-D393-4846-A1ED-E6A09F79F53B.jpegCD95012C-5BB5-4701-8D12-67086E075A70.jpeg

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Zoom in. Is focus set to manual? What's is the shutter speed? Height is not your issue, at least for now.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You have some blur going on. If not shutter speed, maybe too much DNR or WDR

Look at the full res image of the blue car, especially the right side…

WDR causes motion blur, I hate what it does to colors and use it sparingly where I must.

DNR should be 35 or less during the day. Lower if you can.

Bkwudz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have to mess with the zoom again today, tried yesterday, and could not get it focused

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would try it with WDR off. This camera should only be caring about getting a plate. Anything else is a bonus, but an overview camera should capture the car features.

At night, do not run gain as a range. Simply 40-40 or 60-60, etc. That range is what is giving you the headlight flare and trail. I think you could drop the NR down as well.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
WDR and DNR are part of your daytime problem as I mentioned. I would:

Day
Turn off WDR
Set DNR to 35
Set Bitrate to 8192. 2048 is too low
Set Iframe to match FPS

Night
Set Bitrate to 8192
Set Iframe to match FPS
Increase HLC to 75
Drop DNR to 40
Gain 60

I leave all image settings at default along with Iris (50) getting bitrate, Iframe, exposure, and gain set, THEN tweak those. Too many setting changes all at once

Bkwudz

n3wb
Reaction score
I would try it with WDR off. This camera should only be caring about getting a plate. Anything else is a bonus, but an overview camera should capture the car features.

At night, do not run gain as a range. Simply 40-40 or 60-60, etc. That range is what is giving you the headlight flare and trail. I think you could drop the NR down as well.
thanks, i have overview cameras, this one only needs to see plates

WDR and DNR are part of your daytime problem as I mentioned. I would:

Day
Turn off WDR
Set DNR to 35
Set Bitrate to 8192. 2048 is too low
Set Iframe to match FPS

Night
Set Bitrate to 8192
Set Iframe to match FPS
Increase HLC to 75
Drop DNR to 40
Gain 60

I leave all image settings at default along with Iris (50) getting bitrate, Iframe, exposure, and gain set, THEN tweak those. Too many setting changes all at once
thanks, ill try today