Camera CMOS size vs F stop.

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why a camera with a 1/1.8" sensor can have a F stop of 1.6 while a camera with a sensor of 1/2.7" can have a F stop of 1.0?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why a camera with a 1/1.8" sensor can have a F stop of 1.6 while a camera with a sensor of 1/2.7" can have a F stop of 1.0?
The 1/1.8" sensor is larger than the 1/2.7" so it needs less light and can get by with a smaller aperture (higher F-stop number); the 1/2.7" sensor is smaller so it needs more light, hence the larger aperture (smaller F-stop).

The higher F-stop of the larger sensor also provides greater depth of field, thus a sharper background.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
F-stop is the ratio of focal length to used lens diameter. And you can have an f-stop of 1.0 with a camera having an 1/1.8" sensor. Got two of them here. You can have 1.0 with a 1/1.2" sensor. They even made them for the 36mmx24mm classic film SLR sensor. It is just the question if you are willing to pay the price for this. And I don't just mean money. A wide open lens will give you a brighter but otherwise worse image. Everything has a price. So a 1.0 lens is a specialized lens, which you would want to avoid, unless you require the specialty.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, good morning.

Here is a forum guide that also explains every feature of the camera very well.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, he passed on Feb. 25th of this year. He was 68. :(
Man that sucks.. I had no idea either.

Someone has been logging into his account here though. Last login shows April!