Camera (Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z) is staying in sub-stream even when triggered...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Running 5.4.5.3 and have my LPR camera staying in substream mode even when triggered. Both main and substreams were configured via ONVIF.

Going back and looking at my clips, it seemed to be working just fine until the morning on May 9th. I can't recall if I did an update, or what version I was running then, but I'm certain nothing on the camera or BI camera configurations changed.

Is there a switch that forces it to stay in sub-stream? It is both playback and recording substream at this point.

ETA: Live streaming is mainstream. It's only the playback/recording that is the issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure that under Recording that you have Continuous+Alerts selected.

With that said, some have had trouble with the ONVIF feature and AI working with this new substream until trigger then mainstream feature, so if you enabled AI for this particular cam, turn it off.

For my LPR camera, the vehicle is in and out of the frame so fast that I just record it continuous. I will continue to play with it, but that one seems to cause some issues.

And of course, try a reboot of the computer and see if that gets it working. That has worked for some as well, including me when testing these newer updates.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I recently did enable the AI - but just two days ago. I am running continuous + alerts. I'll disable. I also just checked and found the "record dual stream" under recording and unchecked it. After triggering, the playback is mainstream, but it's a frozen frame. BRB.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, this is getting interesting. Despite everything being set to direct to disc and BVR, after disabling the continuous+alerts, and the AI, I still cannot get playback to work. In fact, I now get this error in UI3:

1621310612547.png

And in the BI console, it won't play - just a black screen.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Walking backwards pretty quickly. I exported the camera profile in BI and deleted it. Added new camera, then imported the saved config. No dice. What's interesting is that when clicking on the camera initially, I can see the lower resolution sub-stream momentarily and then it snaps to main. So I know BI is seeing and accessing both. I'm doing a full system reboot now.

Not quite sure why it thinks the file is locked and not recording as BVR:

1621311207597.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - some interesting events there. Hopefully the reboot and resetting the bvr file will fix it. I suspect with the new options that the BVR file probably needs to be stopped and a new one started when switching from a recording method of continuous+alerts and one of the other options.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wishful thinking, no go. I would have been surprised since I did a full reboot several times since May 9 and it hasn't made a difference. What's peculiar is that none of the other cameras (that I've tested) exhibit this behavior. That's why I thought deleting it and starting over might resolve it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it the Z12 causing the issue?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is it the Z12 causing the issue?
Sorry - what's the Z12?

I just found another camera that's doing the same - a newer Sunba. But, interestingly it was working fine until May 15 - at which point it too refuses to switch to main stream for playback.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Even with hardware decode turned off, and substream disabled, I cannot play back anything on that Dahua camera. I just get the "cannot open because clip is still recording" error. Something is wonky.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nevermind I saw in your thread title the name of the camera. My Dahua 5241-Z12E that I use for LPR was delaying switching to mainstream with ONVIF triggers. My other ones are fine.

Go to the all clips folder and find the active BVR file (should have a red outline) and stop it there and force it to start a new one.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's just it... It's NOT recording. white box, but no red, and no timer incrementing like it does when it's recording.

At this point I'd settle with full-time main-stream and normal alert recording - but with this stupid error, I cannot playback at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - let me see if I can replicate that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went from continuous+alerts to continuous then to when triggered and then to continuous and then continuous+alerts and it made a new BVR file for the start of each one. I cannot replicate your issue, so something is wonky on your end.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This may be a corrupt db in BI. When I play from the all clip icon, and scrub toward the most recent time, it does seem to play - albeit inconsistently. But trying to get any of the alerts to play generates the error. I'm going to delete and rebuild the db to see if maybe that's where the gremlin is playing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was going to be my next suggestion!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Arg. Same result. If I click "trigger now" and the alert shows up in the alert clip, if I click it, I get the same error. Gotta hit the hay.

ETA: After the "trigger now" recording has timed out, I can play it. So maybe I'm just not waiting long enough. I've disabled substream so we'll see how this progresses with future updates.