Camera display settings on TV

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether there is a way to change camera display settings on a TV without directly connected to the NVR using a mouse/keyboard?

Currently I am using a Ethernet to HDMI converter and at times due to this getting disconnected I lose my settings.

My NVR is located/hidden in a location where its difficult to connect everything up and on top my TV is downstairs making it hard to see the settings.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How are you loosing your settings...nothing should change even if something is disconnected..you can login via the browser interface and changes most settings..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this capability, via the web GUI if I understand your question correctly, is going to vary with the firmware version.
It doesn't exist on the 3.0.8 firmware on my 7816N-E2
This is using NVR firmware 3.2.1

Attachments

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's a good point Fenderman. If he is using the Ethernet to HDMI just to extend his HDMI run from the NVR to the TV easily using Ethernet, what would be "lost"? All that might happen is the display on the TV would go out...

That aside, was the Original Poster asking if he can access the camera settings themselves while viewing on his TV? Not via the web interface?
If so, I would just login via the web interface over the 'net - if you have your internet connection port forwarding setup properly in order to do so. That way you could sit in front of the TV and make changes and see the effect on your TV.

Maybe he is connecting via ethernet directly to the NVR to make changes and can't do this. No remote viewing setup?
I use the HDMI/VGA out on mine as Alistar showed to watch on my TV. But I login via the web.

I am interested in the way you are using the HDMI / Ethernet adapter to get from the NVR, via ethernet to the HDMI connector on your TV? I considered using them as well. They do have real long HDMI cables. Is it that you already have Ethernet "in-wall" to your TV from the location where the NVR is?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am interested in the way your experience using the HDMI / Ethernet adapter to get from the NVR, via ethernet to the HDMI connector on your TV? I considered using them as well. They do have real long HDMI cables. Is it that you already have Ethernet "in-wall" to your TV from the location where the NVR is?
Hdmi cables max at around 50f and I believe that is above the spec...after 30 or so feet the can be problematic...another issue with hdmi cables is that you have to make larger holes to fish them...You will also need a splitter if connecting more than one..
I have successfully used the tripplite units that provide one local hdmi out and 4 remote via Ethernet...they have both passive receivers and active receivers for longer runs..I have only needed the passive units...

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hdmi cables max at around 50f and I believe that is above the spec...after 30 or so feet the can be problematic...another issue with hdmi cables is that you have to make larger holes to fish them...You will also need a splitter if connecting more than one..
I have successfully used the tripplite units that provide one local hdmi out and 4 remote via Ethernet...they have both passive receivers and active receivers for longer runs..I have only needed the passive units...
"tripplite units"
Interesting. I would like to test this out and put my NVR in the garage near the NID from AT&T and run the HDMI to my TV location using existing Ethernet in my walls.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"tripplite units"
Interesting. I would like to test this out and put my NVR in the garage near the NID from AT&T and run the HDMI to my TV location using existing Ethernet in my walls.
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Transmitter-1920x1200-B126-004/dp/B003VXY7KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436214409&sr=8-1&keywords=B126-004
If you are only going to run a single cable then there are much cheaper options..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hdmi+over+ethernet

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys thanks for the replies. I am not sure whether I lost the settings after the power cut I had.

Basically I have 6 cameras and the display i had on TV was one camera with a larger view (Main Camera) and rest of the 5 around it. I seem to have lost this setting and wondered if there was another way of changing it.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this capability, via the web GUI if I understand your question correctly, is going to vary with the firmware version.
It doesn't exist on the 3.0.8 firmware on my 7816N-E2
This is using NVR firmware 3.2.1
unfortunately I don't see this option either on my 7816N-E2 version 3.0.10

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think what you're trying to do you can do right on the TV interface. Im not at home right now so I can't verify this, but check the Settings for Live View

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think what you're trying to do you can do right on the TV interface. Im not at home right now so I can't verify this, but check the Settings for Live View
I understand we can do this via the tv interface where I have direct connection to the NVR. Issue is my TV is downstairs and the NVR is located in the loft and hard to get area hence was hoping to do either via the web portal or maybe even telnet?

Also anyone know what is the latest firmware I could upgrade to from 3.0.10?

Thanks

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a question, is there a way to display the BI computer on a TV without running a cable? My TV has wifi capability and it would be nice to be able to switch the input to the PC to view who is at the door if needed. The tv and computer are in separate rooms, computer is running windows 7 pro.
Thanks