Camera for attic

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all what are your thoughts on a camera that would be mounted on the inside of a window look out to front of house?
Thanks
Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends what you want, but for anything serious it would be terrible.
The glass would reflect normal light etc and you'd not be able to use the IR in the camera itself.

You could install an external IR gun, but then you might as well install an external camera as you'd need to run cable for either.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that. You'll get a lot of glare from the window and it will make your picture look like crap.

Mount it outside.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup my thoughts was hoping there was new stuff out there you guys might have heard about. Thanks

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know the built in IR wont work at all due to the reflection, but I have seen some pretty decent images from indoor looking out cameras. I think getting it close to the glass and keeping back-light off of it would make a big difference. I think you should try it and report back. There is a lot to be learned by just trying stuff. If it does not work, move it to somewhere else.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone in the 5231 turret thread had theirs temp looking out a window and the pics from it looked great (they were night shots). Granted, that camera does well in low light without IR.

Anyhow, when I get my 5231s, I'm going to temp mount one in the attic window (as an overview cam) and see how it goes.

If it's not good, I'll find a new spot!

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If there's a window, I presume it's a livable space. But just FYI, on summer days, a closed-in attic can get pretty hot, I have read up to 160 F which might not be good for the camera.

Reaction score
If you put the lens directly against the glass and turn off IR, it works okay. You obviously don't want a dome, but a bullet works okay if it is placed correctly. Is it as ideal as one mounted outdoors? No. That being said, if you start with a decent camera and mount it right - it is can be a discrete and convenient solution.